• April 26Lunch for 04/26/24 - Cheesy Breadsticks with Sauce
  • April 26Breakfast for 04/29/24 - Waffles
  • April 26Announcements for 04/26/2024
  • April 25Announcements for 04/25/2024
  • April 25Breakfast for 04/26/24 - Biscuit with Sausage Gravy
  • April 25Lunch for 04/25/24 - Chicken over Biscuit
  • April 24Lunch for 04/24/24 - Chimichurri Pork Tacos

Yost breaks American record

Going+for+the+win.+Senior+Laney+Yost+gives+it+her+all+as+she+works+towards+beating+the+record.+
Courtesy of Laney Yost
Going for the win. Senior Laney Yost gives it her all as she works towards beating the record.

For an average high school student, being an American record holder may seem like an absurd dream. However, for senior Laney Yost, that dream just became a reality.

On June 26, Yost and her team from Fourteen Forty Strength traveled to Colorado Springs, CO for the national championship. She walked into nationals with a positive attitude and a winning mindset.

“I broke two American records, my snatch record of 61 kg and the total of both my lifts combined which was 132 kg,” Yost said. “When I first went in, I knew what the records were and I had prepared myself to hit those numbers. I was definitely nervous, but I was also really excited to be able to do this.”

Whether it is as a teammate, a student or a friend, she is known for the unforgettable impact she leaves on those she crosses paths with.

“Laney is a great kid and has an incredible work ethic. She’s really driven. She bought into the process of becoming a weightlifter, so she’s good at dissecting the movements and learning what it’s supposed to feel like and what it’s supposed to look like,” coach Freddie Dorman said. “She’s friends with everybody. I don’t think there’s a single person who comes in contact with Laney that doesn’t have something positive to say about her. She’s super easy to coach and a great teammate.”

Yost recognizes all the changes she has had to make in her life in order to succeed in her weightlifting career.

“Laney is super hard working. She made a lot of sacrifices leading up to Nationals, especially when it comes to eating and staying out late which isn’t something the average high school student can necessarily manage doing,” teammate Gracie Rice said. “She puts endless amounts of work into everything she does, especially lifting. She could easily let everything go to her head but she is incredibly humble. She’s just all around a good person.”

This experience has given her many opportunities for change and helping hands along the way.

“My team and my coaches are my biggest support system because they all came to watch so it was really cool and they supported me through everything,” Yost said. “Anything I needed they were always there. They cheered me on the entire time.”

Yost had to give up her past to join weightlifting. The change she made had ended up being extremely beneficial to her and her future as well.

“I quit gymnastics after 12 years and I wanted something to keep me in shape and to be able to have fun with the sport. I ended up really liking weight lifting so started competing and from there it kind of just took off,” Yost said.

Yost’s coaches and team want her to know that she will always have their support. They believe she is made for good things. The future is bright and they are excited to see what is in store for her.

View Comments (2)