Aaliyah McGee leads band

Strike+a+pose.+Aaliyah+McGee+takes+a+break+from+playing+to+pose+with+friends+during+a+game.+McGee+has+been+chosen+as+this+years+2023+--+2024+Drum+Major.+
Courtesy of Aaliyah McGee
Strike a pose. Aaliyah McGee takes a break from playing to pose with friends during a game. McGee has been chosen as this years’ 2023 — 2024 Drum Major.

Each year during June band camp, senior band members have the opportunity to try out for drum major.  Aaliyah McGee stepped up to that challenge and was announced as drum major for the 2023-224 season.

Q: What made you want to try out for Drum Major this year? 

A: I wanted to try out so bad, but I was nervous. My friends kind of pushed me, and they sounded so supportive. I just tried. Even if I didn’t get it, knowing I tried would have been enough. 

Q: When you first stood in front of the band for your audition, how did you feel? 

A: I was so nervous. My stomach sank, and it felt so weird because everyone was staring. 

Q: How did you feel when you found out you were to be Drum Major this year?

A: It felt amazing. I honestly could not believe it. 

Q:Have you always wanted to be Drum Major?

A: No, honestly I always thought the drum major was amazing, but I never really thought that I would try out for Drum Major. 

Q: How long have you been in band?

A: I have been in band since fourth grade and marching band since seventh grade. 

Q: What instrument do you play? 

A: I play the trumpet. 

Q: What does band mean to you?

A: Band means so much to me. Every performance, practice or game means so much. Band has become a family for me. 

Q: Aside from band, what else do you do inside and outside of school?

A: I am a class officer, I am a part of student council, Girls League, It Starts with Hello and yearbook. 

Q: How do you manage your time and still have some for yourself?

A: I try to take at least a little time even if that means just reading a good book for a little. 

Q: How are you feeling about being a senior? 

A: I am so excited, but I’m scared at the same time. These three years have gone by so fast, and it feels so weird to know that this time is almost over. 

Q:What are some of the most important lessons you have learned from your high school years? 

A: I have learned that I don’t need to surround myself with people that don’t value my effort and that don’t appreciate the good things in life. 

I have learned that I need to stick up for myself because as they said a ‘closed mouth doesn’t get fed.’ If I don’t say anything to someone, they will do it again and again. 

Q: What is your biggest goal for your senior year?

A: I want to make the most of my senior year. I want to experience lots. 

Q: What is the best advice you have for underclassmen?

A:  Stay true to yourself, don’t let other people and what they do influence how you treat others. Be a leader not a follower. 

Q:What is the best advice you can give your fellow seniors?

A: Have fun and be yourself. 

Q: What are your plans for after graduation? 

A: I hope to major in education and go on to be an elementary teacher.