Community service benefits Altoona

Cider Ayala
William Himmelwright works in the attendance office daily.

Community service is a group consisting of seniors who are assigned to different sites across the school district. These sites can vary including elementary and secondary school help.

“I make copies, get labs together for her. A lot of getting labs together. She has four different classes, and they’re constantly doing labs. Basically just getting her (Mrs. Skebeck) ready for classes because she has a lot of work that needs to be done,” senior Tanner Yoder said.

Community service has been available to seniors as a way to enhance their skills for the future.

“It has taught me leadership skills. Like different soft skills and hard skills. I’m more independent. I have learned how to use a copier. I also grade papers and tests,” Yoder said.

Students must have good grades, attendance, and discipline in order to be accepted into the community service course.

“Since starting community service, I’d say a lot of my soft skills have improved. Skills that are necessary for all job opportunities have become much better on my end,” senior James Horell said

Students have also been able to gain an edge on their hobbies through community service.

“My playing ability has gotten better as well as my people skills. I am definitely more outgoing and confident in what I do,” Colabove said

One of the benefits that a lot of students take advantage of are being able to choose where they volunteer.

“I’ve had Ms. Skebeck for all four years. So I wanted to be able to work with her again,” Yoder said

“I chose to do community service for Mr. Detwiler because I enjoy band and helping students gain an appreciation for music,” senior Mackenzie Colabove said

Community service can range from one to three periods giving students at most only five periods of schoolwork.

“Community service has actually benefited me greatly in terms of my other classes. The lack of homework from three of my periods makes my overall workload much smaller, and allows me to focus more on my other classes,” Horell said.