Principals bond during lunch

Mountain Echo reporters join weekly luncheon
Ryan Longstreth
Lunchtime. Principals have lunch together every Friday in a conference room located in the main office.

The grade level principals and head principal, Andrew Neely, all have lunch together every Friday. They share laughs and conversations consisting of life, work and family, highlighting a bond between them. Although school business often monopolizes conversation, they have certain traditions they carry out throughout the year.

“For the first football game, Mr. Shultz always likes to barbecue,” Neely said.

The principals have many yearly traditions during the holidays and at other times in the year.

“Now before the holidays, the entire school district has a party. For Christmas, it’s potluck. People sign up to bring different things. I’m bringing pies,” Neely said.

The holidays are spent differently for everyone, and it is a time for the principals to be able to connect at lunch or at a holiday party through the school district.

“I wish students knew that trying to run a school, to keep the school functioning the way we want, and students functioning to achieve the goals that we have, that it takes everyone playing their part. That includes the students. I think that what we have here is just a large community, and I don’t know that everyone always has the same goals in mind, and that’s something I strive to try to have in ways that we can,’’ Neely said.

Shultz wishes students knew he has other priorities than discipline.

“I’m not a mean person. My life doesn’t revolve around trying to get students in trouble,” Shultz said.

Senior class principal Vince Nedimyer commented on the humanity of the principals.

“We’re not here just to try to find you when you’re doing things wrong. We love going to prom, afterglow and all those things that should be important to kids. We look forward to those things, sporting events, plays, all those different activities. I think a lot of times you see us and think that we’re always on the move hunting kids down, but even though that may take up a decent part of our day, we really enjoy the other stuff,” Nedimyer said.

Each week, the principals have a weekly meeting where they decide who goes to each after-school event.

“We’re entering into a pretty busy time with all the holiday concerts,” Neely said. “This past Tuesday, we had a meeting to make sure we’ll have folks there.”

Each principal supervises a set of departments in the building to ensure that students can get the most out of their education. This is done by overseeing and working with teachers.

“We’re the leaders. Historically, the word ‘principal’ comes from being the principal teacher in the building. We all taught different levels and subjects, but we all started off as teachers and have a pretty firm grasp of what good instruction looks like,” Neely said.

The principals try to create a positive culture and environment for students and teachers alike.

“Building a culture is about exhibiting the expected norms and values that we think it takes to be good students and good citizens,” Shultz said.

Shultz gave a call to action for upperclassmen.

“Start helping and mentoring the underclassmen, [show them] what is good behavior and what is expected and don’t allow them to do those kinds of things,” Shultz said. “Always be sort of self-policing. Don’t let them be mean to each other or be rude in class. Make them understand that this is their life.”