• April 26Lunch for 04/26/24 - Cheesy Breadsticks with Sauce
  • April 26Breakfast for 04/29/24 - Waffles
  • April 26Announcements for 04/26/2024
  • April 25Announcements for 04/25/2024
  • April 25Breakfast for 04/26/24 - Biscuit with Sausage Gravy
  • April 25Lunch for 04/25/24 - Chicken over Biscuit
  • April 24Lunch for 04/24/24 - Chimichurri Pork Tacos

Holiday cards for children in hospitals

Courtesy of McBurney
Joy. A stack of holiday cards students decorate for children in the hospital. Students made doodles, wrote nice messages, and added stickers.

The Gearbox Union (GBU) holds charity gaming events yearly (D&D, board and card games, video games, etc). They run the charity operations at Sci-Fi Valley Con, and live stream on Twitch to help raise donations for the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals as well as improve the local community. 

“We have several streamers, with me personally streaming under “GearboxUnion” channel. JohnKimbl3, ADangerousMix, DMDimitri, and Blairbears65 are currently our other streamers on the team,” Head of the Gearbox Union, Lee DePiro said. 

“The GBU has been raising funds for over a decade, but originally about four years ago, I just got some blank holiday cards and doodled some pictures in them along with some nice messages while taking suggestions on stream for what to draw. It was a fun personal project to bring some cheer to the kids at the hospital,” DePiro said. “From there, more of the team got involved, coworkers, and last year a friend that was a teacher had his students fill out some cards.”

This year, the GBU expanded even more with purchasing the cards and distributing them to several groups to be filled out. 

“I believe it’s been four years that we’ve been involved with making these cards. Currently we only do them for the winter season to help brighten the holidays for kids and their families who are currently receiving treatment as in patients,” DePiro said. “I reached out to friends that are also teachers at other schools, which were Williamsburg Community Elementary School and Fred Lynn Middle School.”

Shane McBurney’s friend who is involved in a charity reached out to him a couple months ago, asking if he would be interested in making holiday cards for children in the hospitals around the holidays.  

“Without hesitation, I said sure. It was my first year doing it but it definitely won’t be the last,” McBurney said. 

“One of the biggest things we have always focused on is that every little bit of kindness helps. Whether it’s one card, $1, or one nice message, it all helps in the end,” DePiro said.

“Mister McBurney and I grew up in the same neighborhood and were friends, so this year when we expanded our efforts to more schools, I thought to reach out to him,” DePiro said. 

This opportunity was just opened to McBurney’s class then he expanded it to Jamie Colman’s classes, Connor Pielmeier’s classes, and Makenzie Negri’s classes. 

“I had my students make at least two cards each during the class period. We had just taken a test the day before and even offered a bonus point for the students to make the cards. The response from the students was very good. Most students were very willing to help and wrote a lot of good messages to the kids. It was great to see the students pitch in and do something good for others around the holidays,” Pielmeir said.

“I wasn’t sure how my students would react but as soon as we started doing it, I think they got a  lot of joy out of doing a little bit of good for the world,” Mcburney said. 

Everyone had a role, no matter if they had bad handwriting, they could make little doodles, or if they couldn’t draw they could add the stickers. 

“I chose to help out with the card making because it is for a very good cause. We tend to get so wrapped up in our own lives, especially around this time of year. I wanted the students to get into the mindset of the holiday season by doing good deeds for others. The recipients of the cards could use a little bit of cheer in their lives,” Pielmeir said. “I also have had my fair share of time spent in the hospital. I have been in the hospital for two surgeries in a short time period. Getting visits and cards can make a huge difference and can brighten your day. Being in the hospital can be very hard for people, especially younger kids. If spending a couple minutes to make a few cards can help brighten a day, it is well worth it.”

“The cards will be sent to a national organization CardsForHospitalizedKids, that will then distribute them to various children’s hospitals throughout the country. We were able to purchase and distribute over 1000 cards between the various groups, so we expect about 1000 to be sent,” DePiro said.