The Dunkin’ Details

Drinks you might not have heard about
Mattie Baker
Sweet treats. Dunkin’s most recent release is the Pink Velvet Macchiato, perfect for the Valentine’s season. They also released a brownie batter heart-shaped donut to continue the trend.

Everyone knows Dunkin’ is a coffee chain, popular for their donuts and drinks. But they have so much more to offer than simple lattes and macchiatos. Have you missed any of these sweet releases?

Pink Velvet Macchiato

“So pink, it might be illegal.”

10/10

The hype for this drink was unreal. And I assumed it was mostly because it hadn’t been brought back since its release in Jan. 2020. I was extremely mistaken. This drink 100% deserves its favoritism (even two years later). It combines Dunkin’s signature espresso with red velvet cake and white cream cheese frosting flavors. And don’t worry, if you’re not a fan of cream cheese frosting (like I am). This drink does a great job of combining the flavors in such a way that they become something new entirely. The sweet, rich cake and the slight tang of the cream cheese, mixed with the dark espresso, makes nothing less than the perfect cup of coffee (no matter the time of day). Plus, how could we not be obsessed with the pink color? Sure, it probably has Red-40 or some other dangerous chemicals in it, but dangerous chemicals have never tasted–or looked–so good. Especially with the contrast of the brown/black espresso. It’s entirely unique, and specially sweet, just the Valentine’s Day season. 

Toasted White Chocolate Latte

“Would get again for scientific research.”

6/10

As much as I praise the Pink Velvet, some days I want to try something new. And that something just happened to be this drink. The first thing that I noticed was the absence of the “toasted” part, which I would’ve been more upset about if I knew what “toasted” was supposed to taste like. Not to say that it tasted like regular white chocolate, it definitely didn’t, but I also have no idea what they added to it. If I had to describe this drink in one word I think I would choose “anomaly”, because it’s weird but not necessarily in a bad way. Just different.

Cake Batter Donut Iced Coffee

“No.”

0/10

If you’re wondering where this drink came from, so am I. It must’ve spawned from the ether (like a demon) while no one was looking. This drink actually comes in a can that you can buy at a variety of grocery stores and gas stations but, as they say, just because you can doesn’t mean you should. I was super excited to try this because I love cake batter flavored things and I love coffee. So, I bought it, and it’s just a little thing, but don’t let that fool you…there’s a lot of evil in there. The first thing I thought when I drank it was “is this abuse?” Followed by: “ is this torture? Is this allowed?” The answer should be no, especially because it tasted like straight chemicals from Dexter’s laboratory. I feel like I could’ve gotten chemical burns on my taste buds if I had kept drinking it. I honestly have to wonder if it was originally a chemical peel, mislabeled as a Dunkin’ drink. In short, it tasted ugly and I would not recommend it. Then again, would I try it again just to make sure it was bad? Yes. 

Frozen Hot Chocolate

“Shook.”

10/10

I had no idea this existed until I did some private investigating of the Dunkin’ website. I was looking for a drink for my friend who isn’t big on coffee, and this drink was the perfect solution.  It’s the best frozen hot chocolate I have ever had (sorry, Greenbean). The chocolate isn’t too bitter or rich. And it’s shockingly smooth–no annoying unmixed chunks of ice! But what really makes this drink amazing is the fact that you can add other Dunkin’ flavors to it. In your Malibu Barbie era? Add pink velvet. Is savory more your thing? Add butter pecan. Do you appreciate the classic flavors more? Add french vanilla, caramel or chocolate swirl. You could even combine multiple flavors if you wanted to, what more can I ask for?

View Comments (3)