Coast to coast: from small town Pennsylvania to Super Bowl fame

“Right there we knew he was something special.” – Michael Adams
Altoona pride. A photo of Kevin Givens is hanging in the Altoona Junior High, voicing support for the football alumnus.
Melissa Krainer

Humble. Hardworking. Down to earth.

Quiet. Giant. Strong. 

Kind. Soft – Spoken. 

Explosive. 

These are just some of the words that come to teachers’ and coaches’ minds when they think of former student and current NFL (National Football League) player Kevin Givens. 

Givens graduated from Altoona High School in 2015. From there Givens went on to play defensive tackle at Penn State University. In 2019, Givens joined the San Francisco 49ers undrafted. Now, after five seasons, he entered the stadium as a Super Bowl finalist for the second time in his career. 

Many teachers and coaches still have a profound feeling of love and pride for Givens. 

“Givens was a diligent student and very respectful–a delight to have in class. As with many of our district’s student-athletes, he was able to balance the rigor of the classroom with the responsibilities on and off the field,” Givens’ ninth-grade civics teacher John Blough said. 

From a young age, Givens was seen by his coaches as someone special. 

“In tenth grade during strength class, Givens picked up a 45 lb. weight, and as he was walking back to his power rack, he was tossing it up in the air. He wasn’t even trying, and he almost hit the ceiling. He didn’t realize we were watching him in amazement. Right there we knew he was something special,” Givens strengthening and track coach Michael Adams said. 

“Givens was in tenth grade playing in a league game at Mansion Park and recovered a fumble or intercepted a short pass and broke out away from everyone else on the field.  It was a huge play and one that stood out to me while I was watching from the stands,” Givens eighth and ninth-grade basketball coach Vince Nedimyer said.

Opportunity ahead. Photo of Kevin Givens ten years ago as a junior in high school. (Courtesy of 2014 Horseshoe Yearbook)

Although Givens has risen to NFL fame, he hasn’t forgotten where his career started. 

During the summer, Givens comes back to Altoona and works out with the football team. During this time, he trains with them and gives them advice to improve their game. 

“Givens was push-pulling with senior Derron Jones [defensive tackle], and they went on the field and worked out. Givens even gave him a ride home,” Health and Physical Education Chairperson Thomas Palfey said. 

When Givens comes back to his hometown, he makes sure to make a pit stop to see the teachers and coaches who helped him get to where he is today.

When Givens came back into town [after being away at Penn State] he began hugging people when he came back and took his coaches out to eat. He even showed up at his fourth-grade teacher’s house to say thank you. He comes back and works out with the coach,” Palfey said. 

Givens’ teachers still remember fondly what he was like as a student in their classes. 

“Givens always worked diligently, came with a positive attitude and was always smiling,” Givens tenth grade geometry teacher Kathryn Chestney said. 

Despite how long it has been since Givens was a student, his high school mentors could not be prouder of what he has accomplished. 

There are a lot of teachers, coaches, administrators, etc. that have had a chance to be part of Givens’ journey, and I know we are all very proud of him and what he has achieved,” Adams said. 

“We could not be more proud of the accomplishments Givens has earned.  He continues to come back here in the summer to work out.  He could not be more down to earth or willing to talk with and help our players here at Altoona,” Nedimyer said.

“I think everyone at AAHS and the city of Altoona should be bursting with pride knowing that Givens has achieved what so many aspire to do. As a teacher, you always want your students to soar to high heights, and Givens has done just that,” Chestney said. 

Teachers and coaches alike view Givens as an inspiration to many. 

It has been a privilege to watch him grow from a student at AAHS, to a college student at Penn State, to an adult professional football player. He is a constant reminder that with hard work and dedication, dreams do in fact come true,” Chestney said.