Unleashing compassion

The inside story of fundraising for the Humane Society
Megan Shultz
Pups at play. Every animal deserves a loving home. Check in with the local Humane Societies to see how to give a helping hand.

The Girl’s League stepped into action after hearing the news regarding the 90+ dogs rescued by local Humane Societies. They were able to raise $378 and a box full of other donations in just two days. 

The fundraiser consisted of students bringing in $1 to wear a hat and for staff to bring in $5 to have a bonus dress-down day. 

“The results surprised me,” Girl’s League adviser Megan Yingling said. “We were not able to get as much money from the Hats for Hounds because we struggled with advertising due to the bad weather and not being in school; however, the teacher dress-down day did not disappoint, and I am very thankful.” 

The Humane Society knew how big of a task it would be to take in so many animals, but with the help of the community, a weight was lifted off their shoulders. 

“It’s fantastic anytime anybody decides to take time out of their day, whether it’s volunteering to come down and help us out or any type of donation is wonderful. We always get happy and excited whenever people contribute,” Central PA Humane Society shelter manager Dylan Kotrick said.

Pets Available for Adoption

Yingling is new to being an adviser but is having a lot of fun with learning the program. 

“There were quite a few hoops to jump through to get the whole process started,” Yingling said. “If I had to do it over, I would try to give us more time to do everything and get the word out to the students more.”

The Humane Society didn’t have a set goal for how much they hoped to raise. Every little bit helped in one way or another. 

“The monetary donations were able to cover vet care and grooming. The physical donations like newspapers, blankets and food have been used in every way we can so that they can have bedding, treats and toys so that they can act like regular animals,” Kotrick said. 

Giving back to the community is what Girl’s League is all about. Club president senior Maura Griffin is always excited to help out. 

“I feel like I am able to help out my community through community service as well as fundraisers,” Griffin said. “It’s important because we donate money to good causes.” 

“I love the opportunity to not only raise money for organizations that are in need but also to teach our student body the importance of helping others,” Yingling said. “It’s always rewarding to see the total and to be able to present it.” 

Some people might think that only a few of the animals experience a close type of love, but Kotrick knows where to put his attention.

“My favorite part is working with the more difficult animals. Those are the ones that people don’t typically look to adopt,” Kotrick said.

Being in a club is an easy way to make a difference in the community and within other people’s lives. 

“Being a part of Girl’s League is like having another small family, all of the girls involved are so sweet. It’s nice to make friends and meet with new people,” Griffin said. 

When Penn Lincoln Elementary school had heard what the high school was doing, they jumped in on the opportunity to raise money too. They were able to raise $127 for their hat day. 

“The kids and staff expressed feeling happy to help. We have a lot of animal lovers at Penn-Lincoln,” school counselor Heather Diehl said. “Next, our Kind Kids Club plans to make bandanas for the pets at the Humane Society looking to be adopted.” 

Any help given is greatly appreciated. The Humane Society is usually in need of cat litter and soft dog treats. 

“We just want to give a big thank you to anyone who has stepped in,” Kotrick said. “It’s always nice to see people coming together when the community is in need.” 

View Comments (1)