Changes to expect going into next year

Confusion.+Many+students+are+currently+wondering+what+to+expect+going+into+the+2024-25+school+year+due+to+different+plans+that+have+been+considered.+Though+the+plan+isnt+official%2C+students+shouldnt+plan+on+any+more+big+changes+being+made.+
Emmalee Martyak
Confusion. Many students are currently wondering what to expect going into the 2024-25 school year due to different plans that have been considered. Though the plan isn’t official, students shouldn’t plan on any more big changes being made.

Talk of what the daily schedule for the 2024-25 school year will look like has recently been up in the air. Considering a seven-period day, a school-wide freshman seminar-like class and extended homerooms have all been on the table. However, with the plan constantly changing and people gossiping about the topic, nobody really knows what to expect. 

According to principal Andrew Neely, the daily schedule for next year will pretty much be the same, except for reporting rooms being extended. 

“We’ll have eight periods,” Neely said. “Most likely they will be shortened by about two minutes.”

Reporting rooms will be lengthened to make more time to hold a Leader In Me class for all of the students in the school. The class will change depending on grade level, but like Freshman Seminar, it will be based on Sean Covey’s “The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens.” Adding Leader In Me to homerooms will also do away with Freshman Seminar. 

“Leader In Me is all about ‘The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens,’” Neely said. “There are lessons that highlight and focus on those seven habits and how, through developing those habits, we can all be more productive and better at what we do.” 

With a different curriculum for the Leader In Me lessons, many have wondered if special homerooms will continue to be available. According to Neely, they will still be available under certain circumstances, but they will be based on grade. 

It is still undecided whether special homerooms will be allowed for things like MLTV and the student store. 

Whether or not graduation requirements will be altered to Leader In Me requirements is also still up in the air. 

“We’re looking at graduation requirements from a number of different angles, and Leader In Me is a small part of that,” Neely said. “Also with the new regulations when it comes to pathways from the state, we’re looking at that end. Also how many times students are testing. So we’re looking at a number of factors when it comes to graduation requirements.”

Students next year should look forward to an eight-period day and should choose their electives  accordingly. 

“For a student who is just taking four core classes and their PE class, and if you’re a tenth grader you’d have your health class required, they would have three periods of electives to fill,” guidance counselor Rebeccah Anderson said. “That could be three-year-long electives, six-semester electives, or a combination of the two. If you’re a CTC student, obviously those are your electives.”

View Comments (1)