Student store receives stock, inventory for students

Student+store+cashier%2C+Aaliyah+Mcgee+restocks+the+shelves+with+chips+during+third+period.+
Cevin Dively
Student store cashier, Aaliyah Mcgee restocks the shelves with chips during third period.

Student Council volunteers work the student store daily and help manage inventory. Jessica Hogan is in charge of the store along with fellow adviser Stephanie McAleer and co-advisers Amy Palfey and Julie Gardner. 

The student store provides PopTarts, chips, Gatorade, etc. Items are bought through sources such as Pepsi, Sam’s Club and Martin’s. The store also has to follow specific guidelines regarding what they are selling. 

“We have guidelines that we have to follow based on the federal government that says what we can sell and what we can’t. We can’t sell candy, but we are supposed to have low fat, low sugar, low calorie, snacks and drinks,” Hogan said. 

Snacks and drinks are restocked by Hogan and workers throughout the week. 

One of the student store’s managers, sophomore Maggie Brouse works every Tuesday morning before and during homeroom. As a manager, she believes that it is good work experience, and she receives community service hours as a result of working. 

Customers are nonstop; however, it can be slow some mornings. 

“If there are no customers, we need to restock items or just open new packages. So, we are just rearranging and organizing,” Brouse said. 

Organization of the inventory of food and drinks keeps the store prepared for periods throughout the day. 

“We know we need to take inventory because we have this app, and it tracks the food we have. So in order to keep up with inventory, I know it would have to at least be marked down,” Brouse said. 

Workers keep track of what inventory is needed by marking down items. 

The student store is now accepting cards and has seen abundant success in the new payment option. 

Sophomore Ryker Scriver visits the student store during third period. 

“I like to think of going there as a brain break and it helps me focus better. I usually like to get strawberry Pop Tarts,’’ Scriver said. 

Sophomore Grace Stadtmiller visits the student store and gets her usual order almost every week. 

“I like to get a Sunny-D and it really brightens my day. They have a lot of variety,” Stadtmiller said. 

The student store provides variety for every student. 

“We’re super excited now in the store that we have the square system, and we accept Apple Pay Cash App, credit cards, debit cards, so that has increased our sales greatly by almost 40 percent,” Hogan said.