National Honor Society continues tradition after decades

Tradition++%0AAdvisor+Deidra+Dumm+shows+the+chapters+book+that+has+been+signed+by+every+class+since+1977.+The+original+book%2C+started+in+1929%2C+was+lost+when+the+club+when+on+a+hiatus+in+1938.+AAHS+went+without+a+Honors+Society+club+until+1977+when+it+was+started+back+up+again.+
Olivia McMinn
Tradition Advisor Deidra Dumm shows the chapter’s book that has been signed by every class since 1977. The original book, started in 1929, was lost when the club when on a hiatus in 1938. AAHS went without a Honors Society club until 1977 when it was started back up again.

On Friday May 10, the National Honor Society will continue their tradition of a formal induction ceremony, welcoming members into a century old organization. This induction will honor the top members of the junior class with the help from teachers, administration and principals.  

“The top 80 students based upon weighted grades in the junior class are given the paperwork to submit documentation. That takes care of the scholarship portion; when it comes to the character portion, their information is sent out to all faculty and staff,” adviser Deidra Dumm said. 

Students’ past and present teachers are given the chance to report any record of plagiarism, cheating or signs of negative character. Additionally, to be a part of the club, students can highlight their community service hours and their leadership positions. Once they are “deemed a yes,” the students are officially invited to be a part of the society. 

“The induction ceremony is something that is required to become a true member of the National Honor Society,” Dumm said. “They go through the very formal process where all students are announced, and we go through a candle lighting ceremony,” Dumm said.  

Five candles represent the pillars of what the pristine honor’s society stands for. First, a faculty member lights the candle of knowledge. With that candle, officers use it to light the other four candles: Scholarship, Service, Leadership and Character. Additionally, each officer reads an excerpt, explaining the importance of their four pillars. Next, students participate in the National Honor’s Society pledge. 

“Mr. Neely goes through the pledge.They all raise their right hand and essentially pledge that they’re going to withhold the four principles,” Dumm said.  

Once becoming a member, to mark their commitment, students sign their names into a book, holding signatures of all society members since 1977. Altoona’s first chapter was started in 1929. It became inactive in 1938, then started again in 1977 and has been active ever since. 

“It’s to recognize those students who do exhibit those four qualities, they have excellent character, they have excellent leadership skills. They perform a lot of community service; they have a dedication to the community and to other people. Then, of course, they are also committed at the same time to their academics,” Dumm said.