Students perform in annual Band Bash

Inspiring+the+next+generation.+The+high+school+wind+ensemble+performs+under+the+direction+of+Larry+Detwiler.+They+were+the+final+performance+of+the+Band+Bash%2C+preceded+by+the+elementary+students+at+the+beginning+of+the+night+and+junior+high+school+students+in+the+middle.+
Jaidyn Palladini
Inspiring the next generation. The high school wind ensemble performs under the direction of Larry Detwiler. They were the final performance of the Band Bash, preceded by the elementary students at the beginning of the night and junior high school students in the middle.

On March 12, 2024, students in the elementary, junior high and high school bands participated in the annual Band Bash concert. The concert began at 7:00 p.m. in the auditorium. 

With multiple levels of wind ensembles playing together, high school students found themselves reflecting on their musical journeys. 

“Watching the elementary band play reminds me of when I first started playing the trombone back in fourth grade at a different school,” senior Brian Beere said. “It reminds me of when I first started marching band and had the same kind of attitude towards music. It’s all so interesting.” 

Beere’s connection with this concert goes deeper than his personal experience. His younger sister, sixth grader Jolene Beere, plays trombone in the AAJHS Wind Ensemble. 

“She plays the trombone like I do,” B. Beere said. “She may have switched instruments a time or two, but I’ve been given the chance to participate in the same concerts as her for a few years.” 

Senior Dylan Free plays the saxophone for the AAHS Wind Ensemble. 

“While I did not get the opportunity to play with the elementary kids, it was cool to watch them do their thing,” Free said. “Seeing where we all came from is always fun.” 

Beere was one of the few students given the opportunity to perform with the elementary wind ensemble. He was not given the opportunity to practice their music beforehand, but his years of experience let him figure out the songs on the fly. 

“From sight reading the music to performing in the wind ensemble to wrap the concert, it was a pleasant Band Bash for my senior year,” B. Beere said. 

Senior Alexandria Hamel plays trombone in the wind ensemble. When she was younger, she looked up to the older students.

“I was really nervous with the older kids,” Hamel said. “I knew that eventually I would be where they are, so I got over my fear once I stepped on stage.” 

The band bash concert was a large source of inspiration for Hamel when she was younger. 

“Even if you feel anxiety, don’t give up,” Hamel said. “It does get better no matter what people may say. Getting to play in band is a great opportunity and it can change your life.”

J. Beere is ready for the opportunities that band has to offer. For her, Band Bash acted as a window to the future

“It was really exciting to play with the high schoolers,” J. Beere said. “It is really fun to see how good they are because that is how good I want to be when I’m older. I hope I can be a senior in this concert some day.”