Et Cetera magazine tradition continues

Et+Cetera.+The+2023+edition+of+the+art+and+literary+magazine.+The+magazine+is+sold+at+the+end+of+the+year+for+approximately+%245.+
Charlie Kephart
Et Cetera. The 2023 edition of the art and literary magazine. The magazine is sold at the end of the year for approximately $5.

Over 50 years ago,”Et Cetera” art and literary magazine was founded. The “Et Cetera” magazine offers a place for students to showcase their artistic abilities.

“’Et Cetera’ is an annual magazine published to showcase the creative work of our student body. It is both writing and any form of artistic expression from painting to drawing to sculpture. It is a way to showcase works that wouldn’t be shown any other way,” adviser and English teacher Jen Lowe said. 

“Et Cetera” magazine has gained popularity in recent years but dates back into the last century. 

“Our archives go back to the 70’s, but I have seen other literary magazines go back almost to the turn of the century,” Lowe said. 

Lowe began advising the magazine ten years ago with a small break in the middle. She has now been doing it continuously for three years. 

“There was a period where interest in the magazine had dropped. I didn’t want to see it go away because it is such a valuable part of the school and a nice form of expression for the students,” Lowe said. “Rather than see it vanish, I decided to jump in and make sure it remained an opportunity for students.” 

The 2024 “Et Cetera” staff is composed of 12 students. Senior Jacob Ceglar has had interest in the magazine since his freshman year and decided to join the staff. 

“I have always bought the “Et Cetera” magazine, and I know Mrs. Lowe and have learned about the magazine from her. I thought it would be nice to be able to contribute to that,” Ceglar said. 

Freshman Hailey Goheen was a part of the junior high’s art and literary magazine, “Mixed Media” and wanted to continue working with the magazine in high school. 

“I did the art and literary magazine last year, and I wanted to do it again. I love everything art-related and designing things so an art magazine was my chance to experience both,” Goheen said. 

Members of the staff meet every Wednesday after school and will have more frequent meetings closer to the publishing date of the magazine. 

“I make flyers and hang them up around the school. Once we get all of our submissions in, I will be in charge of deciding which ones will go in the magazine, figure out the layout and order and put the magazine together,” Ceglar said. 

Submissions are being accepted until April 15 through email or by being brought to A213. Junior Ava Cabell plans to submit one of her paintings to the magazine. 

“By submitting my painting to ‘Et Cetera’, I hope to showcase my work and be able to see my art published in the magazine,” Cabell said. 

Students who submit their work to Lowe will benefit in several ways. 

“You can tell people that you are published, and it looks very good on a college application. You also get the pride of seeing your work in something that has been professionally published,” Lowe said.