Hearts for love

New club organizes
Spreading+the+message.+Posters+are+hanging+around+the+halls+about+the+new+club.+The+google+classroom+code+is+grprz3b.+
Abigail Rudy
Spreading the message. Posters are hanging around the halls about the new club. The google classroom code is grprz3b.

The gender and sexuality alliance (GSA) club is a new club that began this year. Two co-founders, seniors Crow Young and Lucifee Varner, started the club in hopes of creating a positive environment and a safe space for LGBTQ+ members and others. 

“Last year, I started a club with a group of my friends. We spent an entire year trying to get approval, and it ended up not really happening. At the beginning of this year Cam [freshman Cameron Young] and some of their friends contacted me and that sort of sparked all the interest again. That really got us going back into getting the club started,” Varner said. “And now we’re having meetings every other week. I founded it with my partner Crow and a bunch of friends, a bunch of graduates which is why having a freshman reach out to me really made it easier to start the club.” 

“I originally joined because it was Lucy’s idea and you know, she’s my girl. But I also have never really felt safe or part of a community at all, Even at all of the schools I’ve gone to. So I decided that I wanted to be the person to establish that and let others and underclassmen who are in my situation or the situation I was in, let them feel included and seen,” Crow said. 

The club is a student-run club that unites LGBTQ+ youth and allies and supporters. 

“I thought this school needed a true place for people in the LGBTQIA+ community to have a safe space and a place that accepts them, and I wanted to be a part of that,” Cameron said. 

“At meetings right now, it’s a lot of discussion, talking, creating a community like a safe space. It’s a lot of just having fun, getting comfortable with the people who are in our community in the school zone, a big sense of safety here. So right now we’re focusing on finding that group of people who we can talk to and look towards so mighty to join them,” Crow said. 

Two teachers have been supportive of the students. Megan Leone is one adviser of the group and Caitlin Stephens is the co-adviser.  

“Students came to Leone about starting this club, and we have had some meetings. This year is the first year we have had more consistent meetings. But it’s a safe space for them to discuss any problems or issues that they seem to struggle with throughout the school and that they think of as a meeting space to share with one another,” Stephens said. 

“It is a place for students to connect and talk about issues impacting the community and their lives. The students get together and chat, share ideas and make friends. The students discuss current issues and ideas to spread awareness and cultivate a safe space for LGBTQ+ students at our school,” Leone said. 

On Thursday March 28, a meeting will be held in Leone’s room (A211) from 2:50 p.m. to 3:30 p.m..

“Sometimes at meetings, we have a topic that we go on about like Valentine’s Day. We had a fun presentation about the history of Valentine’s Day and some of the facts about it. And then things like a Christmas party where we just kind of hung out. So we try to have a good time and just try to be a safe little community where people can go and have a nice time and also have a good bit of educational stuff when we can,” Varner said. 

At the end of the day we are all just people who are all humans and let’s try to be kind to one another.”

— Stephens

“In this community, they experience a lot of criticism, and they felt like there was a need for a safe meeting space for them to come together and know that they’re not going to face that criticism alone,” Stephens said. “It’s also about how we can educate people in the school and in the community about the struggles of that criticism that they face because maybe other people don’t realize the struggles they might face.” 

Cameron hopes to become either the president or vice president next year. As a member, Cameron has been able to do a pride event this month. 

“The pride event I had was pride week, where throughout the second week of March, I painted flags on those who wanted them. In my personal opinion, I think the event turned out great, as many people came back to the table we had set up throughout the entire week. Even those who just wanted to show their support of the LGBTQ community came to get themselves painted,” Cameron said. “Pride week was GSA’s first true event to get our name out there as a club, as March is filled with many pride days, and we only had such a limited time. Pride Week was created as a compromise while making sure no one was left out during it.”

Many different colors, three flags yet one person. The student is representing themselves by painting colors of the flags which they are. (Courtesy of Cameron)
Flags students painted on their wrists. The colors represent who they are. (Courtesy of Cameron)
Red, orange, yellow, green and light blue are different colors meaning one flag. The student painted different colors on their arm to show who they are. (Courtesy of Cameron)
Colors Students painted different colors on their arms. The colors represent the flag of who they are. (Courtesy of Cameron)

I believe people should know that GSA isn’t only for those in the LGBTQ community. Allies and those who want to help make a difference are gladly accepted as well.”

— Cameron

Something that Crow wants others to know is that this is a great opportunity to get to know each other and have a safe space. 

“I think others should know that it’s just getting to know people at your school, and it’s another opportunity for the community and it looks great on scholarships and resumes being in this group. And it’s just casual, we’re trying to do more events and it’s like, if you feel passionate about equality or inclusion, you can just show up. I think it’s a nice little experience to get to know the people around you,” Crow said.