• April 26Lunch for 04/26/24 - Cheesy Breadsticks with Sauce
  • April 26Breakfast for 04/29/24 - Waffles
  • April 26Announcements for 04/26/2024
  • April 25Announcements for 04/25/2024
  • April 25Breakfast for 04/26/24 - Biscuit with Sausage Gravy
  • April 25Lunch for 04/25/24 - Chicken over Biscuit
  • April 24Lunch for 04/24/24 - Chimichurri Pork Tacos

Teacher’s fight against cancer inspires hope

Teacher’s resilience shines amidst cancer battle
Biology+teacher+Heather+Partsch+poses+in+front+of+her+neon+sign.+The+neon+sign+is+lime+green%2C+unintentionally+the+same+color+as+the+T-shirts.+
Lillian Roberts
Biology teacher Heather Partsch poses in front of her neon sign. The neon sign is lime green, unintentionally the same color as the T-shirts.

Biology teacher, Heather Partsch, was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, a rare type of cancer that affects the lymph system. In support of Partsch, T-shirts were sold from March 11 through March 13. On March 28, students were encouraged to wear the shirts to school. 

“I’m humbled to walk through the school today and see the green in every classroom and every hallway,” Partsch said. “It just melted my heart, and I talked to my oncologist. He does lots of research on lymphoma, and I can’t wait to present him with a check.” 

Partsch sees Dr. Rafic Farah, a specialist in allogeneic and autologous stem cell transplant and hematologic malignancies including leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma.

“Mrs. Partsch is visiting a specialist in Pittsburgh that deals with her type of lymphoma,” biology teacher Jessica Hogan said. “And his research needs funds to continue his research to improve treatments. And so that is where all this money is going to and that’s what we’re going to continue to do is try to help him with his research so that we can find a cure quicker than what is already available.”

Partsch believes fundraising is beneficial for all who have been diagnosed. Fundraising gives a face to people who are fighting against health complications. 

“A lot of times people don’t see when someone is struggling or fighting a battle, and with their health, but a lot of students, especially my students, seem very, very touched by my challenges and my struggle,” Partsch said. “I think it’ll help them in the future deal with struggles that they are having.”

Partsch’s struggles weren’t just physical. 

“When I first found out [about the diagnosis] it made me feel really alone because of dealing with a diagnosis like that, but my students, my friends, the teachers in school, have all made me feel so loved,” Partsch said. “And now I know I’m not alone.”

When you get a diagnosis, like lymphoma as soon as you hear the word cancer or any other illness that has you questioning what the future holds for you, just having a fundraiser that visibly shows the support like with the green all through the halls can really lift the person’s spirits.

— Heather Partsch

Students and staff all wore the lime green T-shirts on March 28. This color represents Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. 

“I bought a T-shirt to support Mrs. Partsch because I had her as a teacher, and she was amazing,” junior Lauryn Ryan said. “She also helps out with the four-year course I take through Mrs. Skebeck.” 

“I bought the shirt because I had Mrs. Partsch as my biology teacher in freshman year, and I thought that she was a really nice lady,” senior Camryn MacAlarny said. “I just knew I had to support her.” 

“I have had Mrs. Partsch since last year, and she’s just a really great teacher.I really wanted to support her and the cause,” junior Teddy Heidler said. “I had her for biology and this year I had her for Biomedical Science.” 

“Look around school today,” science teacher Jessica Hogan said. “You see a lot of people with the shirts. So that’s been really nice to say.”

The high school girls’ softball team is having their Sideline Cancer game on April 13, and they’re raising money with a basket raffle.

“Well, it [the game] kind of depends on how Mrs. Partsch’s health goes,” Hogan said. “And what happens during her chemo journey is what we’re kind of calling it. So it depends what happens there.”

Science teacher Shawna Meyers and other teachers in the science department wanted to send her off with a positive attitude so that she can win this battle and know that many in the building love her. 

Lean on the community, lean on your friends. Lean on the people that mean the most to you. I want to thank the biology teachers for having such a wonderful fundraiser to help raise awareness for lymphoma and for my fight.

— Heather Partsch

“Well, it was the bio teachers, the ‘bio babes,’ the teachers that work with her at the junior high and we just thought to send her off to chemo with positive thoughts knowing that people are rooting for her would be an excellent way to help give her some sort of positive spin on things,”Meyers said. 

Order forms were passed out in homerooms for students and staff to purchase. 

“It’s been great,” Meyers said. “Honestly, I didn’t think we’d sell that many because we didn’t advertise a whole lot, it was just for her kids and for some teachers. It’s been amazing.”