• April 26Lunch for 04/26/24 - Cheesy Breadsticks with Sauce
  • April 26Breakfast for 04/29/24 - Waffles
  • April 26Announcements for 04/26/2024
  • April 25Announcements for 04/25/2024
  • April 25Breakfast for 04/26/24 - Biscuit with Sausage Gravy
  • April 25Lunch for 04/25/24 - Chicken over Biscuit
  • April 24Lunch for 04/24/24 - Chimichurri Pork Tacos

Local museum displays student artwork

Tommy Ford
Trying something new. Junior Ava Cabell’s painting of a ramen bowl was chosen for display. “I wanted to paint something unique with multiple layers,” Cabell said. Her mother helped her complete the piece when she was struggling.

On March 27, 2024, a group of 15 students took a field trip to the Southern Allegheny Museum of Art. Their intentions were not to just leisurely enjoy art but rather to see their work displayed for the public as part of the Artists of the 21st Century Exhibition. 

The twenty-sixth iteration of the annual exhibition opened on January 26. It includes dozens of original pieces created by local students. Art teachers Eric Hoover and Kathryn Curry were behind the selection of the displayed works. 

“Mrs. Curry and I pick out 30 of the best works of art between our two classes,” Hoover said. “We are involved with this every year, and it is a great opportunity.” 

Curry has been involved in selecting display pieces for over five years. There is a lot to consider when it comes to choosing the best of the best. 

“I first look at aesthetics,” Curry said. “I think ‘overall, does it look like a completed piece? Did the students take into consideration what was asked of them for the grading of the project?’ I also think about the time and effort that was put into the piece by the individual student.” 

Junior Ava Cabell has been consistently drawing since elementary school and is a member of the National Art Honor Society. She notes there are a limited number of opportunities for students to have work displayed in accredited museums like the Southern Allegheny Museum of Art. 

“Knowing my art is in a museum that is accredited just as much as the Museum of Modern Art or any other famous art museum was a bit of a surprise. As before, I just thought it was a nice little local collection,” Cabell said. “It’s  cool that even one of my paintings got into the museum, and hopefully, I can get some more in.” 

Curry cites one thing artists must do if they want their work displayed in a museum – practice. 

“Keep making art,” Curry said. “Keep practicing it and getting better at your craft. It’s really about consistency.”

Curry is proud of the work her students have put into honing their craft. 

“I am proud of the students’ artwork,” Curry said. “It’s really unique to have their artwork up in a museum like that. It is  awesome that they can say that they did that, and I wish them the best.”