The track to success: Altoona hosts annual Igloo Track and Field meet

Push+Through.+Sophomore+Emerson+Snare++fights+to+beat+the+other+teams+through+the+finish+line.+This+was+in+the+1600+meter+race.+Snare+placed+fifth.+
Eva Drumm
Push Through. Sophomore Emerson Snare fights to beat the other teams through the finish line. This was in the 1600 meter race. Snare placed fifth.

Every year in spring, Altoona hosts the Igloo Track and Field meet. On April 6, the 47th annual meet was hosted at Mansion Park where 33 schools from the area came to compete. This is the first invitational the team competes in each season. 

Last season, current senior, Hailey Kravetz, broke the record for the girls’ 300 meter hurdles. She set the new record with a time of 44.94 seconds. 

On Saturday, April 13, Kravetz competed in the 100 and 300-meter hurdles. In the 100 hurdles she ran 15.70 seconds. Kravetz just missed the first place spot by less than one-tenth of a second behind junior Sarah Tate from State College. This isn’t the first time Kravetz and Tate have competed against each other. 

“Sarah and I have been going against each other for the past two years and we equally push each other each race,” Kravetz said. “Most of our competition is found in the 100-meter hurdles and she is my greatest competitor. We often go back and forth when it comes to who wins the race, it will ultimately come down to who has a cleaner day at Districts.” 

In the 300-meter hurdles, Kravets came out on top with a 46.51 seconds. Even though it wasn’t a personal record, Kravetz hopes to continue to shorten her times through the season.

“I hope to drop my 300-hurdle time down one second and run sub-44,” Kravetz said. “With the 100 hurdles, I hope to drop below sub-15. Focussing on technique and my steps, along with having good competition will help me reach these goals.”

It was a special day for the throwing events, especially in the shot put and javelin.

Sophomore Annalyse Yost won the javelin with a throw of 123-04 feet. This got Yost the win, but also made her the Altoona sophomore girls’ javelin record holder. The old record was held by Alexis Miranda with a throw of 118-10 in 2012. 

“I was very excited to have the opportunity to break the record,” Yost said. “I was also very thankful because I couldn’t have done it without the support around me from my teammates and coaches.” 

For senior Bron Mosely, Saturday marked a big step in his throwing career. Going into the meet, Mosley was ranked third going into the meet but came out on top. Mosely had a throw of 55-02 feet giving him the win and a new personal record

“It was very fulfilling because this is my first year doing the spinning technique in shot put, and I’ve always wanted to win an event in the Igloo since I first participated in the meet in ninth grade,” Mosley said. 

This new PR put Mosley just over three feet of beating the current Altoona Shot Put record, set by Mike Reid with a throw of 55-0.25 in 1965. Mosely hopes to continue to improve through the rest of the season.  

“I plan on taking every day as seriously as I can, and really focusing on getting through the circle and speeding up my spin. I just need to be consistent with technique,” Mosely said. 

This year seems to be the year for breaking records at Altoona, especially for junior Triumph Kilmartin. During the indoor season, Kilmartin tied the girls’ high jump record with a jump of 5-05 feet. In the first meet out of the outdoor season, Kilmartin jumped a 5-5. 

“Some of my goals for the rest of this season are to hit 5 ‘6” in high jump and have consistency in my jumps.” Kilmartin said. “Also break 37’ for Triple and 17’ for long jump. My senior year, I am looking to reach 5’8” (high jump), 38’(triple jump), and 17 ‘9″(long jump).”

At the Igloo, Kilmartin jumped a 5-02 foot jump earning her the win. Sophomore Kenzie Wilt followed Kilmartin getting second place with a jump of 4-10 feet. 

“Watching Triumph this year and last year has motivated me,” Wilt said. “She is a great teammate and inspirational to me. She pushes me to be my personal best.”  

Thirty three teams, between class 2A and 3A boys and girls, competed in the meet. The meet began at 10:30 a.m. and wrapped up around 6:00 p.m.