• May 3005/30/24 - Last Day!
  • May 29Lunch for 05/29/24 - Cook's Choice!
  • May 29Breakfast for 05/30/24 - Cook's Choice!
  • May 28Breakfast for 05/29/24 - Cook's Choice!
  • May 28Lunch for 05/28/24 - Cook's Choice!
  • May 27Breakfast for 05/28/24 - Cook's Choice!
  • May 27May 27 - Memorial Day, No School

Lady Lions prepare for summer league at YMCA

Haley Tanzi
Guarding the ball. Freshman Raylin Eyer blocks the opposing team from shooting into the hoop and gaining points.

Summer is right around the corner which means so are summer sports. The sports program is widely recognized by people, but summer sports aren’t as watched. With summer sports beginning when school is ending, people don’t get the chance to watch the players play. Summer sports give players freedom and a fun time.

Every summer, the Lady Lions basketball team plays in a summer league at the YMCA in Hollidaysburg. It begins right at the end of school and lasts all through summer until the beginning of the next school year. Last summer, the Lady Lions had an excellent season. Their record was phenomenal with only one loss and in the end, winning the championship. 

The summer season gives every player a chance to prove themselves and what they’re capable of. The Head Coach gives everyone on the bench more playing time. The summer league provides a more carefree and stressless environment for the players.

“I feel like during the summer, I’m able to make more mistakes and not get yelled at for them, and I improve as a player,” sophomore Aubriana Berardinelli said. 

Last season, the Lady Lions faced their first real challenge during a matchup with an alumni team. They pushed and pushed their way through but ended up falling short and coming out with a loss. This didn’t stop them, they took the loss and held their heads high. The players went on with their season and eventually made it to the championship game. The championship game was a matchup between the Altoona Lady Lions and the Williamsburg Lady Pirates. The Lady Pirates have skilled lengthy players, but the Lady Lions still defeated them and won the summer league championship.

With the summer league coming up, students can check out the Lady Lions basketball team at the YMCA. Viewers can see the difference between in-season and out-of-season basketball. The summer season is easygoing and enjoyable for all.