• May 3005/30/24 - Last Day!
  • May 29Lunch for 05/29/24 - Cook's Choice!
  • May 29Breakfast for 05/30/24 - Cook's Choice!
  • May 28Breakfast for 05/29/24 - Cook's Choice!
  • May 28Lunch for 05/28/24 - Cook's Choice!
  • May 27Breakfast for 05/28/24 - Cook's Choice!
  • May 27May 27 - Memorial Day, No School

Money melting away

Money+makers.+After+this+school+year%2C+prices+of+Gardeners+will+be+raised.+These+classic+boxes+will+be+less+known+come+next+year.+
Megan Shultz
Money makers. After this school year, prices of Gardener’s will be raised. These classic boxes will be less known come next year.

Beginning next school year, the price of Gardener’s Candies will be raised. Students can purchase Peanut Butter Meltaways for $2, Chocolate Pretzel Rods will be $3 and Peanut Butter Pretzel Rods will be $5. 

Gardeners informed club advisers about the price change, explaining that cocoa beans have tripled in price since May of 2023. This is a result of environmental and supply chain issues that have affected chocolate industries all over the world.

Like everyone else, I feel disappointed that we won’t have $1 meltaways again next year, but I understand that there’s nothing we can do to change it,” junior Rachel Kennedy said. “Gardner’s informed us of the price increase due to the rising prices of their supplies, and that isn’t the company’s fault.” 

Some might suggest just keeping the prices of the chocolates at the rate they are now; however, that isn’t possible due to the standards that have been set for fundraising. 

“For a club to have a fundraiser here, it must make at least 40 percent of profit,” physical education teacher Thomas Palfey said. 

Students and staff expect to see changes when it comes to what is being sold along with how often. 

“I don’t think we’ll see as many of those white cardboard boxes in the halls anymore,” Kennedy said. “The school might see a significant decrease in the selling of the chocolate bars.”

“It will affect the speed that the boxes are sold,” Girl’s League adviser Megan Yingling said.  “It will still be a good fundraiser, but the clubs just will not be able to sell as many as quickly as before.”

Although being able to make the price go back to what it was would be nice, Kennedy knows that this is not something that can easily be done. 

“The issue seems to be out of our hands,” Kennedy said. “Students aren’t going to be pro-price increases, but if the groups fundraising decide to sell them for $1, they’ll lose money when the whole purpose of fundraising is to raise money. If there’s any plausible way that we could restore prices, I’m willing to try to put it into action.” 

Palfey expressed his thoughts on the change in prices that will be implemented next year.

“I feel that is a lot for a person to pay for a snack, but I understand the company’s position of inflation,” Palfey said.

Next year, students can be on the lookout for some new fundraising opportunities. I have thought of using some of the restaurants that offer a portion of their proceeds made on a certain night as another type of fundraiser for students to participate in,” Yingling said.