Three young students search to find “The Beauty that Remains”

Myah Lear, Reporter

The Beauty that Remains” written in 2018 by Ashley Woodfolk is about the journey three characters take as they grieve the loss of a loved one and heal from that trauma. The book can be found online or in a bookstore.

This book is told from the first person point of view from three different characters which makes the book interesting. The characters in the book all interact in some way.

Autumn, artist and loyal friend, is the first chapter that is told. The person she looses in the months coming up to the beginning of the story is Tavia, her best friend. She died in a car accident after a party that Autumn skipped to hang out with Tavia’s brother, Dante.

Logan, a songwriter, is the second story that starts to unfold. Logan loses his ex boyfriend, Bram. Logan has to overcome his guilt over the last words that he said to Bram before he died of a drug overdose.

The last story is Shay’s, a music lover and blogger. Sasha, Shay’s twin sister, died of cancer and she has to overcome losing her “other half.”

Some of the characters turn to music and a social media blog while others turn to more dangerous coping mechanisms like alcohol and skipping school. In this book, the characters have to find “The Beauty that Remains” in their world.

This book blew my expectations away as the author told three beautiful stories in one book perfectly. This book is not for the faint of heart because it tackles many tough subjects like depression and panic attacks, but I’d recommend this book to anyone who wants a tear jerking story that will leave the reader fully satisfied with the ending of the journey that the three young people tell.