Challenge Assembly winner reflects on award

Sue Fox

The Challenge Assembly winners pose with their huge check. This year’s winners included: Jacob Condron, George Boutiller, Maurice Williams, Aiden Palilla, Quinn Mosebey, Ian Kennedy, Nick Schimminger, Jenna Williams, Vanessa Roman, Samantha Chestnut, Mayah Marasco, Kaitlyn Lightner, Chadric Flarend, Hunter Rossman and Daniel Batrus.

Maddie Cowfer, Reporter

The Challenge Program’s (TCP) goal is to prompt high school students to develop habits required to be successful. By building business and education partnerships, the Challenge Program attempts to help students expand their habits for future careers. 

Every student has the opportunity to sign up and get awarded for their performance at school. 

“They are all automatically enrolled.  We run reports to ID the winners,” principal Andrew Neely said.

“The Challenge Assembly is a program that awards kids for their performance in certain areas,” junior Vanessa Roman said. 

The Challenge Assembly picks two students from each category of attendance, STEM, community service, academic improvement and academic excellence to be winners of monetary awards each year. 

“I won for academic excellence and for years I’ve always strived to do my best in school … I think my grades reflected that,” Roman said.

The students receive a $200 check if they are chosen to be a winner. 

“I simply did what I could and put in the effort where it was needed. I worked to the best of my ability and tried to stay positive,” Roman said.

Students who sign up for TCP get a chance to receive financial aid and can receive various learning opportunities.

“I thought being a part of the Challenge Assembly would be a good opportunity and great learning experience,” Roman said. 

Seniors who are a part of the Challenge Assembly can be motivated to keep working harder in school.

“I think TCP showed me that good things come to those who put forth an honest and diligent effort, thus helping me want to work even harder in the future,” Roman said. 

Students do not have to be crowned the winner to benefit from the Challenge Assembly. 

“I would say I learned some life skills, such as staying determined and always working hard to get the results I desire,” Roman said.

Another goal of the Challenge Assembly is to give students the best preparation to later enter the workforce.  

“I would encourage the Challenge Assembly to other students because there is nothing to lose and only the possibility to gain something,” Roman said.