Drama club to host new event

Gavin Lamborn, Guest Reporter

The drama club will host a new event called “Miscast” on Jan. 28 in the Blackbox theater. The drama club is hoping to do these events more often with its members and continue doing these in years to come. 

“A miscast is a show where people perform songs originally played by roles where they would never be casted,” senior Parker Cook said. 

Cook is a secretary for the drama club and will be running the event with the help of the club. 

“The process leading up will include a Google form sign up sheet where drama club members can sign up to perform with themselves or a group. Then I designed a poster on Canva to advertise the event,” Cook said. 

The miscast leads to many new opportunities for the drama club and could be used as another thing to draw more to joining it. 

“The miscast will be the first of many special events that the drama club will be doing this year. I feel it will be good for the students of the drama club to have more opportunities to perform in more than just the  two main stage productions.” Cook said. “I want to be able to make this a tradition that the future club officers of the drama club can organize and do every year.” 

According to teacher Ben Cossitor, there are plenty of benefits to doing a miscast in the drama club. 

“Students will have the opportunity to perform songs that they’d never get to otherwise. A miscast allows for songs to be taken out of context and sometimes given new meaning when delivered by someone with a different perspective. For instance, Katrina Lenk, a famous Broadway actress, made waves when she did a miscast and sang “If I Were a Rich Man” from Fiddler on the Roof.” Cossitor said. 

Although this is a drama club event, it won’t be open to the public for many reasons. 

“No, because we are performing in the black box we are limiting it to club members because of the size of the space,”  Cook said. 

According to Cook, the new opportunities for the students can open more creativity for them to express themselves. 

“I am excited to be able to provide more opportunities for the students, and I’m hopeful that it will run smoothly and according to plan,” Cook said. 

The new activity that the drama club will be hosting leaves a lot of new excitement for many people. 

“I’m most excited for the club to have an activity where we just get together and have fun. Almost everything we do is geared to prepping for a big public show, so we don’t get to just sit back and relax very often.” Cossitor said.