Scholastic scrimmage team remains undefeated

The+scholastic+scrimmage+team+practices+their+trivia+before+a+competition.+The+team+meets+weekly+to+practice+their+knowledge.+

Jaidyn Palladini

The scholastic scrimmage team practices their trivia before a competition. The team meets weekly to practice their knowledge.

Maddie Cowfer, Reporter

This year’s scholastic scrimmage has gone all year with an undefeated season and they are headed to regional playoffs. 

Scholastic scrimmage is not just a competition team, they also have an after school club that meets weekly. 

“We are both a social club and a competitive club, so we actually get together every Tuesday and practice our trivia knowledge. We also have a team that competes against other schools and represents us as an athletic team,” adviser Jenifer Lowe said.

The scholastic scrimmage team’s has gone undefeated and continues to advance. 

“We have weekly meets on Tuesdays after school and then our competition season is in the fall, so we have a quiz league with Blair Bedford, and we do four rounds in the fall. Then we qualified for District Championships and now we’re going to the regional championship. If we win then we will go to States,” Lowe said. 

The scholastic scrimmage competition has gone farther than they have for the last couple of years.

“We’ve done really well. We actually went undefeated during our regular season which is great because our arch nemesis has always been Hollidaysburg, and the last few years we haven’t been able to get past them. We beat them this year for the District Championship,” Lowe said. 

The students and club adviser are thinking positively about competing at the regional playoffs against Cambria Somerset Pembroke. 

“I’m pretty excited and optimistic for the students. We have kids with a good eclectic knowledge base. I think they are going to do really well when we go up against our Cambria Somerset Pembroke,” Lowe said. 

If the scholastic scrimmage completes in the regional playoffs and wins, they will continue onto States in Harrisburg. 

“We will go ontoSstates. We typically go to Harrisburg, and we actually compete at the State capital building which is a really nice honor,” Lowe said. 

Out of the 14 competitions, the scholastic scrimmage team has competed in this year they have yet to lose. 

“Our regular season comprises of 14 rounds against schools from Blair [County] and Bedford [County], and then we played off in the district championship in the top four,” Lowe said. 

Advancing onto the next level at States has persuaded some students to further their knowledge for the later competitions.

“I think it will motivate them even more to be able to want to increase their learning and contribute more and advance farther next year,” Lowe said. 

This year is different from the previous years and that is because of the students on the team this year who are winning the competitions. 

“We have passionate students this  year in the club who are really excited, very knowledgeable and enjoy being a part of this club and chance to show off their knowledge,” Lowe said. 

For some members, being a part of the scholastic scrimmage is to have fun, while also competing in multiple competitions.

“My favorite part of being in this club is competing.  Even though it can be a bit nerve wracking, it’s fun to get out and compete,” junior Alyssa Clark said.

Students who have an increased knowledge in multiple different subjects can join the scholastic scrimmage team to compete.

I would recommend this club to other students who have knowledge in different subjects and want to use what they know.  I recommend it to people who like literature, geography, history, chemistry, physics, or even pop culture or sports.  There’s tons of topics for whatever you may be interested in,” Clark said. 

Being a part of the scholastic scrimmage team can give students a chance to learn something new that they might not in class. 

“At the end of last year, I was in Mr. Lowe’s class, and we did a US map test to see how many states we knew.  I was the only one to get all fifty.  After class, he wrote me a pass to go to his wife’s room because he thought I might be interested in scholastic scrimmage.  So, I went and Mrs. Lowe told me a bit about it.  I thought it would be something I could enjoy; I’ve always liked learning new things,” Clark said.