PFEW scheduled for summer

Contact+Tracey+Biesecker+in+the+guidance+office+for+more+information+or+help+applying.++

Myah Lear

Contact Tracey Biesecker in the guidance office for more information or help applying.

Myah Lear, Reporter

Pennsylvania Free Enterprise Week (PFEW) is an event that happens over summer that students can participate in. During the event, students go and participate in a week of business related activities to learn a trade. The event happens at Lycoming College and the Pennsylvania College of Technology (PCT). Incoming juniors and seniors are able to participate in PFEW.

PFEW takes place over summer vacation during July or August.

“Kids go for a whole week, and they obviously can’t miss a week of school. They actually will live in the dorms, eat on campus and it’s very intensive and immersive full week program ,so the only way they can really do that is during the summertime,” school counselor Tracey Biesecker said.

Over the past few years, the event either wasn’t held or was virtual.

“We were virtual and so they didn’t have it the first few years and last year it was virtual but because of all the changes and craziness here, we just weren’t able to get it out there,” Biesecker said.

There are different events that students will be able to participate in during the week.

“They will be running a manufacturing company for a period of three years, and they will learn about modern business operations, finance, advertising and marketing and all aspects of today’s workforce,” Vice President of Educational Relations for the Foundation for Free Enterprise Education Michelle Warofka said. “They will gain communication, teamwork, problem-solving, critical thinking, leadership and other skills that are vital to future success. They will have the opportunity to interact daily with businesspeople and hear world class speakers deliver messages geared toward their personal and professional development. They will get the full college experience and unlock doors to their future. They will also leave with many new lifelong friendships and connections.”

Students will have to pay a certain amount to be able to participate in PFEW.

“Students attend PFEW on sponsorship paid for by businesses, foundations, civic organizations and individuals in their community,” Warofka said. “The value of this sponsorship is $1,800. Each student is responsible for a $295 registration fee.”

Students may be able to get help financially if they are not able to cover the registration fee.

“Should a student show financial hardship, we offer financial aid, reduced fees, payment plans and more to help offset a portion of that fee,” Warofka said. “The foundation will work with all students and their families to ensure that the fee doesn’t get in the way of any students who wishes to attend.”

There are other events that happen during PFEW.

“There are many special events that take place during PFEW,” Warofka said. “They are all part of the overall PFEW experience and to describe them in detail here would risk giving away too much. Students have to experience the program first-hand.”

Students can get a scholarship for Lycoming and PCT if they decide to participate in the event.

“Both Lycoming College and PCT offer significant scholarships to PFEW graduates should they choose to attend either school,” Warofka said. “In 2022, Lycoming is offering a $5,000 per year scholarship renewable for up to four years for a total of $20,000. PCT offers a $1,000 scholarship per year renewable up to four years for a total of $4,000. These scholarships are offered in addition to any financial aid or scholarships for which students may qualify.”

Students are able to build connections with other people outside of the school district during PFEW.

“Student teams are paired with an adult business professional who guides them through their week,” Warofka said. “Students are encouraged to meet and interact with all program volunteers and speakers to build their professional network. Additionally, students are paired with students from across Pennsylvania, and they get the unprecedented opportunity to work with a wide variety of people with skill sets, talents and interests different from their own. The opportunities for networking and professional development are virtually limitless.”

School counselor Tracey Biesecker recommends that students should try and participate in the event.

“It doesn’t have to just be students interested in business,” Biesecker said. “I think that’s the big thing that I want to get across. Any company or business functions in some sort of a business model. I don’t care if it’s medical or schools, they are still a model of some type… Even for the math and science kids, it’s applicable to every career and job, so I would definitely recommend it for everybody and not just kids interested in business.”

There may be some benefits students may be interested in if they decide to do PFEW.

“For one, what they are going to learn and get out of learning to run a business,” Biesecker said. “They’ll get business connections with leaders in Pennsylvania, and they’re going to meet students from all over Pennsylvania and make new friends. They will also be eligible for a scholarship if they want to attend Lycoming College or PCT. It looks great on a resume. It shows maturity, motivation and seriousness.”

Warofka encourages students to participate in PFEW.

“PFEW is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to set yourself apart from your peers and develop a plan for life after high school,” Warofka said. “I encourage every student to consider PFEW. It is one of the best things you can possibly do to position you for future success. Plus, you will have the time of your life.”