Students, teachers discuss Russia invading Ukraine

Image by mdstyle from Pixabay

Students will be raising funds for Ukraine with a hat day March 18.

Alli Little, Reporter

On Feb. 24 2022, Russia started a full-scale invasion on Ukraine. 

Jeffery Shultz teaches Civics. Through the beginning of this war, his students have grown interested in the topic.  

“I think as anytime in history when a nation decides to invade a sovereign territory of another nation it is not good. It is unlawful and qualifies as an unjust war in international legal definitions,” Shultz said. 

Russia’s president, Vladimir Putin, claims he is invading Ukraine because they wanted to join North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO). Although, others speculate his real motive is different. 

“The whole point of NATO existing is to prevent the former Soviet Union from being a bully in European affairs. NATO has to be very careful how they play this. Part of the reason why Putin is invading Ukraine is because Ukraine was trying to become a member of NATO. He doesn’t want to feel that NATO is all along the Russian border, and he feels he has the right to take sovereign countries. In fact his actual opinion is that the formal 11 republics of the Soviet Union  aren’t actually their own sovereign independent nations,” Shultz said. 

Putin was an intelligence officer before he became president. 

“Putin is a brutal dictatorial leader: he has for years been a bully in his area of the world. But, just because he’s a bad actor doesn’t mean he’s not a smart individual capable of accomplishing his desires. However, I think he has underestimated a lot of things, and it may end up being his long term demise. Vladimir Putin, I hate to say it, is quite often playing multi level chess, while others are playing checkers,” Shultz said.  

Ukraine is fighting against Russia. Ukraine’s president, Volodymyer Zelenskyy, is staying and fighting with his troops even though

“According to the information we have, the enemy has marked me as target number 1,” Zelensky said. 

“Zelenskyy has been a much underestimated leader. I think Vladimir Putin certainly underestimated him. I think the world even underestimated him. I believe he has been a courageous leader in odds that are greatly stacked against him. He has kept his country together, and he has fought a very smart, strategic and tactical defense of his country. He’s done a very good job,” Shultz said. 

Senior Ethan Little has always been very interested in global affairs, so he is passionate about learning about the Ukraine and Russia conflict. 

“I believe Ukraine will fight hard for a while, but eventually they won’t hold out against Russia. I don’t think that Putin will try to invade any NATO territory. I’d say that the people who believe this conflict will turn into World War Three are uneducated and do not know what is really happening. I believe Putin is not willing to start a nuclear war over Ukraine,” Little said. 

Russia started the invasion of Ukraine on Feb. 24 2022, and it is still going on today. 

“I think eventually Russia is going to take control of certain cities; they may end up controlling Kyve; however, the Russian military has shown that they are underprepared for the mission. They will  be very able to take control of certain strategic locations and they will certainly not be able to occupy or administer a governance there. After a tackle victory you still have to be able to create and administer a system of government. I don’t think he is capable of doing that, but I think this will create a lot of uncertainty in Ukraine for some time to come. I think that Putin is very much so committed despite how much the sanctions are hurting him,” Shultz said. 

Civics teacher Donald Dull is interested in this war. He has informed his students about the conflict and related it to what the students are learning about in the American government. 

“The world is doing a great job punishing the Russians for their invasion. I think Ukraine is putting up excellent fight, and I’m glad American troops are not deployed. I think President Biden is handling it the way the people around him are wanting it handled. I believe he is right for not putting American troops and not getting them involved in a world that is not ours,” Dull said. 

According to Dull, Russia’s economy is struggling. Fast food chains like McDonalds have halted their business in Russia because of the conflict. 

“I hope that more people are interested in this, it is certainly one of the most pressing issues in the world right now. It will have an impact on everybody’s life even if it doesn’t come to war, it is certainly gonna have an economic effect on everyone,” Shultz said.