Gavin Ciampoli places fourth at NHSCA All-American Championships

Michael Ciampoli
Fourth and Proud. Freshman Gavin Ciampoli stands on the Podium after wrestling in the NHSCA All-American Championships.

On the weekend of April 6 through 7, wrestlers from Altoona participated in the National High School Coaches Association All-American Championships (NHSCA.) Freshman Gavin Ciampoli placed fourth.

“I believe I’ve gotten better in certain positions and pushed myself throughout the year with extra practices and workouts,” G. Ciampoli said.

Ciampoli believes the team has made him better in many ways. 

“They’ve helped me work harder and strive to do better for myself and my team when I’m out there on the mat,” G. Ciampoli said.

Ciampoli believes people on the team helped to do better and helped him throughout the year.

“Luke Sipes and Braiden Weaver have definitely helped me with technique and experience,” G. Ciampoli said. “I’m glad I have a chance to practice and learn from them throughout the year.” 

When it comes to coaching, his dad, Assistant Coach Michael Ciampoli believes G. Ciampoli has done his very best to maintain his responsibilities.

Gavin is a very dedicated and disciplined person,” M. Ciampoli said. “Gavin puts forth his best effort and sacrifices a lot to maintain his academics and athletics.” 

M. Ciampoli believes his son can do amazing things if he stays on the track he is now.

“Gavin is goal oriented and strives to accomplish those goals,” M. Ciampoli said. “I feel if Gavin continues to work hard and maintains the right mindset, he can accomplish great things in the future.” 

Head Coach Joel Gilbert believes G. Ciampolihas improved in different ways but his mentality has improved the most.

“Definitely in his confidence, I believe he’s got a lot more he got a lot more confident as the year went on,” Gilbert said. “It goes a lot more comfortable in certain positions in wrestling. So ideally, I would have to say his confidence in himself as a wrestler has really improved.”