Hoover art display brighten students’ days

Eli Peteuil

Fragile, handle with care! These pieces of pottery are made by Eric Hoover’s ceramics classes and displayed for all the school to see. The pieces rotate around when Hoover’s students create new pieces.

Eli Peteuil, Reporter

Though there are different art classes offered in school such as: ceramics, regular art, jewelry making and more. The art displays on the second and first floor show off students’ art work and show what the students in the art classes are working on. 

Art teacher Eric Hoover likes to make sure his students’ accomplishments don’t go unnoticed by the rest of the student body. Hoover had the idea of a display case for a long time now and with the new school building, he got a display case built for him and the other art teachers. 

“We’ve always wanted a display case, as far as getting a display case for art, we finally have one. In the old B building, we didn’t have any display cases. I told my sculpture class every piece you make is going to go in there because we have a lot of shelves. Instead of making something and thinking it sucks, we should display it,” Hoover said. 

Hoover wants all of his students’ art to be shown off and appreciated no matter the quality of the art, as long as the students tried.

“I think pretty much all the work students make is something to display, it’s something people want to see. Some people might walk by and think ‘why is that there?’ but some students are motivated by the idea of showing off their work, and the case gives them that inspiration. I think every student should get the right to show off their work no matter if they think it’s good or bad.” 

The display case works as an incentive for students in different art classes to strive to make good pieces of art they can show off to the entire school.

“Being in his art class is really cool. The way he does the display case is pretty cool; it gives us something to try and achieve by getting our art put in the case. If we were in his ceramics class, we can see what others did, and it motivates me to work harder. But if students don’t get their art put in the case it may discourage them and make them try less later in the class. Mr. Hoover never makes us feel discouraged though, he’s been really supportive and helpful,” junior Jada Johnson said.

Some students not in any art classes see the displays and enjoy them. Some students wish to see the B building gain more personality over the years as more student activity occurs within the B building.

“I believe it boosts other students’ confidence seeing their work on display. I like looking at the different ideas and creativity that is displayed.  I feel like our new building is somewhat bland; however, I believe things such as Mr. Hoover’s art display helps liven the building and give it more of a personality. It’s nice to see student activities be shown off in the school, and I hope we get too see more in the coming years,” junior Jaelyn Sipes said