Students’ share weird work experiences

Courtesy of Morgan Stellabotte

It’s all done. Sophomore Morgan Stellabotte poses for a picture as she completes her final day of work.

Jaidyn Palladini, Associate Editor

As students take their first jobs, they often encounter out of the ordinary experiences.  A few students were willing to share those experiences.  

Morgan Stellabotte 

For working student sophomore Morgan Stellabotte, her working experience as a cashier was one to remember.

“I had lots of people complain about expired coupons, things being too expensive, etc. But the weirdest is a guy brought a gun into the park where I was working,” Stellabotte said. “He said he had a license for it, but why would you need to bring a gun into a family park? I told him to talk to my manager about it and said you should probably put it into your car.”

Stellabotte had started working in her free time.

“I had started working at Lakemont Park during the summer of 2021,” Stellabotte said. “I wanted a job for over the summer last year, so I decided to work at Lakemont Park for my first job,” Stellabotte said. “I live near it so it was convenient for me and I thought it would be a nice place to work in with a good environment.”

Julianna Squires 

Working as a student, sophomore Julianna Squires has had several working experiences that were labeled as different.

“I just started working at McAbee’s and these people came in and went around and did suicides with a bunch of different drinks, and it was really weird. They actually enjoyed it, but it was kind of weird. I was watching them do it, and they came up to me asking if I had ever tried it. I said no, and they were talking to me about it and telling me to try it,” Squires said. “Another one would be when I worked at Dunkin. A guy got irritated at me because I was waiting for the espresso to brew, so his drink was taking longer and it takes a while for espresso to brew because you have to make it a different way. I gave it to him out the window, and he threw it back at me but it hit the window. It was a hot latte, so that was probably one of the worst experiences because it was hot. It could’ve been bad and he threw it at me.”

Squires had started to work at a younger age.

“At McAbee’s, I started working there when I was 16, and I was 15 when I started working at Dunkin,” Squires said.

Squires explained that getting a new job gave her a new view of working.

“I wanted another different job just because Dunkin is a big corporation, and they just didn’t take into account that I’m still a kid and that I still have other things going on,” Squires said. “They would give me an attitude about it, so I just needed somewhere more understanding.”

Keira Mayhue 

When junior Keira Mayhue started working, she claims that she did not expect what had happened to her.

“My very first day working at the Summit, I had an older man who I guess works out there all the time stand there at the gate, shake the gate and try to jump over the gate because I was still trying to look up his name in the system,” Mayhue said. “He was angry that he wasn’t let in already.”

Mayhue began working more recently than others.

“I had started working there at the Summit on Dec. 17,” Mayhue said.

Since working as a teenager at a gym, Mayhue knew some things to expect.

“I thought that it would be really fun to work at a gym and especially with the free membership, but I was just looking for something new and something different,” Mayhue said. 

Marcella Parker

Sophomore Marcella Parker shares her job experience to others.

“I was working tournament games for baseball, and I was working in the concession stand. My co-worker was on their 10 minute break, and the game that was being played was in a rain delay,” Parker said. “There was mud and dirt everywhere since it had rained, and no one had gotten a chance to clean it up. When the rain stopped, people started to come back to the field and one lady saw the mud on the ground and freaked out. She immediately ran to the window that I was at demanding that someone clean up what she thought was poop. She yelled at me about how unsanitary it was to have poop on the ground and that she’s going to report us for this and that I’m going to end up getting fired because I won’t go clean it up. Long story short, it was the dirt and water mixed together ,and to me it didn’t look like poop. She thought it was. I ended up putting boxes over it so she would calm down, and she finally did and left. I don’t think that she realized it was just the dirt and the water mixed together but it was a pretty crazy experience.”

Parker started working during COVID-19.

“I started working in concession stands in May of 2020 during COVID-19,” Parker said. 

Parker decided to volunteer at her brother’s field during games.

“It’s my brother’s baseball field, and I was always there so I thought I might as well get paid to be there,” Parker said.