Mountain Echo hosts second annual senior week

Sales+time.+%0ASeniors+Destiny+Montgomery+and+Jayla+Nartatez+sell+tickets+to+seniors+on+May+9.+Tickets+are+being+sold+on+the+bridge+during+lunches.+

Madison Zimmerer

Sales time. Seniors Destiny Montgomery and Jayla Nartatez sell tickets to seniors on May 9. Tickets are being sold on the bridge during lunches.

Destiny Montgomery, Editor in Chief

The second annual senior week is right around the corner with new and familiar activities for the seniors to participate in. Senior week will start on May 23 ending on May 27.

Schedule for the week: 

Monday, May 23 – Locker decorating

• Theme – Decades day

Tuesday, May 24 – Parking spot decorating

• Theme – Hawaiian day

Wednesday, May 25 – Yearbook signing day

• Theme – Twin/Triplet day

Thursday, May 26 – Senior Tailgate

• Theme – College/Future Ambition day

Friday, May 27 – Senior Sunrise

• Theme – Pajama day

With the week comes hours of planning from the senior week committee, made up of Mountain Echo staff members.

“We have 11 students from the committee on deck to help out and assure a safe, smooth running week. The members will all have matching staff shirts so it will be easy to track down a member in case of an emergency,” junior Cassidy Klock said. 

On the committee: seniors Destiny Montgomery, Connor George, Jayla Nartatez and Avery Reid, juniors Danielle Bardelang, Myah Lear and Klock, sophomore Jaidyn Palladini and freshmen Abby Shearer, Alli Little and Cider Ayala.

“We have three freshmen on the committee this year. Our hope by doing this is that by their senior year, they will be pros at the process,” Klock said. 

Little enjoys being on the committee and is most excited for the senior sunrise. 

“I believe that being on the committee as a freshman will give me an opportunity to learn how everything functions, so I can be helpful in the senior weeks to come. I am excited to be able to give seniors a good send off,” Little said. 

George worked alongside Montgomery, the editor in chief of the newspaper, to plan the week. 

“Planning senior week is certainly a group effort. It certainly would not have been possible if it was just me. I feel that my role was organizing the group to do specific tasks. I was also in charge of the financial side of it,” George said. 

Different tasks of senior weeks were making t-shirts and posters, as well as getting sponsors from businesses. However, one of the main parts of bringing senior week together was getting it approved by the principals.

“One of the things that most people tend to forget about is planning with the principals. At first, I was pretty stressed out about meeting with Mr. McGinnis, but he’s actually a really cool guy and very supportive of what we have going on. He’s also not afraid to voice his criticisms which makes him invaluable as part of the planning process,” George said. 

Being the second annual senior week, this year’s committee got to base their ideas off of last year’s editors. 

“As a senior, it’s pretty stressful, especially when I think about what Ben Blackie and Jocelyn Fetter, the previous planners, did. They gave us some big boots to fill, but I’m determined to make this even better than last year. It also helps that we were able to use a lot of the information they had last year when setting up, so that makes it a bit easier to get the ball rolling,” George said.

As a junior, Klock is most excited to have experience for next year. 

“I am glad that I will have already had a year of planning under my belt. I’m glad that I get to observe the process before having to run it. I’ll know what to do with sponsors, posters, committees and more which really lifts a weight off my shoulders,” Klock said. 

Klock is most excited to be with her friends.

“I’m very excited to spend time with my senior best friends Destiny and Maddy. We have some plans after the senior sunrise which has me super excited and I am very excited to give the seniors a week they will remember,” Klock said. 

Tickets will be sold at lunch the week of May 9 for $5. Seniors must have their order forms filled out to purchase a ticket.