Somerset hosts District Orchestra

Its+Time.+The+students+who+traveled+to+play+in+District+orchestra+pose+to+take+a+group+photo.+The+photo+was+taken+right+before+they+performed+for+friends+and+family.+

Courtesy of Kelly Detwiler

It’s Time. The students who traveled to play in District orchestra pose to take a group photo. The photo was taken right before they performed for friends and family.

On Thursday, Jan. 26, District Orchestra left for Somerset to compete against other schools. The festival was held Thursday through Saturday where they performed their concert songs for their friends and family. Students auditioned Thursday during the day, and they got their chairs on Friday and practiced the rest of the day. 

“District Orchestra is more than just a competition: It is a way I can share my music with everyone else, and I get to spend a lot of time with people who appreciate music just as much as I do,” sophomore Rachel Kennedy said. 

The festival is for sophomores, juniors and seniors. Kennedy placed first chair for second flute. It was Kennedy’s first time performing at a festival, and she was very nervous. Kennedy’s main goal was to focus on District Band, and she was shocked to find out she was going to Regionals in March. 

I wasn’t expecting to do so well, especially against older competition. So, I would say that it’s an honor to work with those people even though in the end I beat them,” Kennedy said. “ I felt appreciated because I know my hard work doesn’t go unnoticed.”  

Kennedy put more work and effort into District Band and didn’t practice much for District Orchestra. Kennedy considered orchestra to be a “side thing.”

“I’m feeling really excited to have this new challenge, but I’m a little bit more nervous for this one than Districts because this is my one chance to go to States and you have to work a lot harder. So it’s definitely a big step up,” Kennedy said

Kennedy is going to continue participating in the Pennsylvania Music Education Association (PMEA) competitions throughout her senior year. 

“My goal is to go to States next year if I don’t make it this year which I don’t believe I will. So I want to go to States for at least one of my festivals and by the end of my high school career. It would be amazing if I could go all the way through, but I don’t know if I will quite get there,” Kennedy said 

Sophomore Emma Lunglhofer placed fifth chair out of 24 second violinists. This was Lunglhofer’s first year doing District Orchestra, and she did not expect to advance to Regionals. 

“Orchestra has always been something I loved being a part of because I love music and playing instruments. Going to the District Orchestra and being in the atmosphere with kids from other schools who love music just like I do made it such an amazing trip.” Lunglhofer said. “I am now moving on to Region Orchestra because I placed high enough. I feel proud that the work I put into something I love paid off.”

Lunglhofer plans on continuing to do the PMEA festival until she graduates. 

“My goal is to make it to states one year, but I know I will have to work really hard to get there,” Lunglhofer said. 

Sophomore Paige Radel placed nineteenth chair for second violin. She is not going to Regionals. Radel went to PMEA because she made memories with friends, her orchestra family and loved every minute of it. 

“District means tradition to me. My grandfather, who has since passed, loved music and was even in his own band. Nobody else in my family truly does music. I feel like Districts were a way to express myself and carry on my family musical talent and tradition,” Radel said. 

Sophomore Andera Slusser placed ninth chair out of twenty three other cello students. She will not be moving on to Regionals because only the top six move on. Slusser is going to continue with PMEA through high school. 

“Districts is a great program to encourage all orchestra students,” Slusser said. “Districts is an opportunity for me to learn more about my instrument. It also lets me make goals for my playing abilities and meet others who share those goals.”

Lunglholfer advises oter students who want to do the PMEA to have fun.

“The biggest thing is to not let nerves get the best of you. Try to stay as calm as you can and just have fun. The festivals are a lot of fun and it’s better to not be stressed the entire time,” Lunglholfer said.