Graduation Requirements

As seniors are nearing the end of the school year, some are finding themselves asking one question: “What are the graduation requirements?” Throughout the past couple years, the graduation requirements have changed. 

“This year, each student is required to have credits that amount to 26 over the four years they spend in high school. Starting next year the required credit amount is 27,” senior assistant principal Vince Nedimyer said.

Genius Hour is becoming an aspect school year, but it isn’t a requirement. Genius hour is more for students to figure out what they want to do after high school and setting them up for success.

“Although Genius Hour is not required to graduate, it can be turned into different pathways that can help students figure out what they want to do,” Nedimyer said.

In order to graduate, each senior must take four core classes. They must take English for four years, and math, history and science for three years. The other remaining 14 credits can come for Career and Technology Center , work experience or electives taken in the school.

“If a student is doing good and is meeting all of the requirements of CTC, then that can take them to the pathway to graduation,” head principal Andrew Neely said. 

In order to graduate, every student must pass the three Keystones: Algebra I, biology and literature. If a student gets accepted into a four year college, then that also counts as an alternative assessment for school.

In order to pass Keystones, students must achieve a score of 1500 to be proficient. The Keystone Exam three score composite is 4452 or greater. The Keystone Exam two score composite is 2939 or greater.

A senior who meets locally established grade-based requirements for Keystone content and is unable to satisfy the requirements of a graduation pathway, may be granted a waiver by the chief school administrator.

“There are some cases in which the superintendent can pass a student. Maybe if they come in at the end of the year or don’t speak English, they can let them pass. There are only some circumstances in which the superintendent can pass them,” guidance counselor Julie Yahner said.

If a senior in the education program is unable to satisfy pathway requirements but can satisfactorily complete a special education program, they will be granted a diploma.

“One of the most important things a student can do in order to have a good pathway for after high school is to talk to your counselor. They can help you a lot,” Neely said.