Intro to Pub students share experiences

Working.+Fifth+period+Intro+to+Pub+class+working+hard+on+their+assignments.+The+students+have+already+done+many+assignments+dealing+with+writing+and+yearbook+topics.+

Abigail Rudy

Working. Fifth period Intro to Pub class working hard on their assignments. The students have already done many assignments dealing with writing and yearbook topics.

Some students are moving forward into Newswriting I with the Mountain Echo and/or Yearbook I with the Horseshoe from Intro to Publications or the Livewire.  

“I’m still not 100 percent sure what I want to do next year, but as of right now, I want to do Newswriting. Newswriting is why I took Intro to Pub in the first place; but I love doing the writing and reporting on what’s happening locally,” junior Brandon Auker said. 

“I am absolutely going to continue on with this course. I will be joining the Yearbook I class next school year. I admire and favor writing and design. I knew that joining the yearbook staff was in the cards for me,” sophomore Colby Wendle said. 

Intro to Pub students had to design a magazine cover for an assignment. Freshman Eric Weyant says how it sparked an interest in him while completing the assignment. 

“I am continuing into the yearbook because I like to take pictures and design different things,” Weyant said. “I like to design magazine covers and yearbook spreads. The thing that got me into design is the yearbook spread that we did a few weeks ago.” 

“I am going to continue into yearbook. I’ve always wanted to do yearbook since seventh grade, but, then, with it being virtual, I didn’t get to it. Now I can take the opportunity to do it in high school because it’s a bigger segment here,” freshman Jaidyn Green said.

During the scheduling process, Intro to Publications was an option for students to sign up for. However, some students were placed in randomly.

“I just got into this class; I didn’t pick it. Now, I’m glad I got assigned to it,” Weyant said. 

“I had picked this class myself. I became intrigued with the class and made the decision to put it in my schedule for my sophomore year. I then knew that the class was for me when I found out it involved writing and design,” Wendle said. 

Senior Danielle Bardelang is part of the newspaper and yearbook staff. She sees the Intro to Publication students working during their class periods. 

“As long as they focus on some time management and getting their work done, I feel these students will bring a new aspect to the journalism classes,” Bardelang said. 

Different students throughout each class period enjoy different aspects of the class. Some enjoy the yearbook related assignments, while others enjoy the newspaper related assignments. 

“I’m in between [with feelings], because some of the assignments I like, but the other assignments are writing stories, and I love writing stories,” Green said. 

“I like the class. I don’t love it because all of the projects, deadlines can be stressful and sometimes the directions are unclear to me. It’s still a good class, though, because a lot of what we learn will probably be good to know later in life,” M. Baker said. 

Some students have favorite and least favorite memories about different classes they take. 

“My favorite assignment that I’ve done was the ‘All About Me’ Yearbook mod. For me, I didn’t exactly reach my full potential, but by far it was really fun to do and it gave me practice for when I move into Yearbook I. And I also just enjoyed learning more about myself and uncovering things about myself that I didn’t even know could be uncovered. I also got to present it, which I really liked as well. Because I’ve got to share aspects of myself,” Wendle said. “My least favorite assignment that my class has done was the ‘News Story’ writing. I didn’t really enjoy this because I felt like it was a writing that was more in depth than what I am used to.”

“We did a project on a ‘Photo that changed the world’ and I enjoyed that because it was really interesting to see all these different kinds of photos, whether they were about war or love or something else entirely, and the huge impact they made on the world. It’s really inspiring to see that the small act of taking a single picture can have that kind of effect,” freshman Mattie Baker said. “My least favorite was the news article we had to write just because I didn’t really like the topic I had, and it was difficult for me to get my interviews done in time.”