Students, teachers voice thoughts on chronic absences

This school year, student absences have become a focus according to Community Relations Director Paula Foreman. It was mentioned in the Mountain Lion Pulse. 

According to Secondary Assistant Superintendent Brad Hatch, student attendance is always a priority in the district. 

“If students are not in school and attending regularly, it is very difficult for them to demonstrate growth and achievement,” Hatch said. “We monitor attendance statistics all the time and are noticing a significant increase in the overall number of days being missed and the frequency of illegal and unexcused days. Students tend to fall behind on instruction, and getting caught up is a real challenge for some students.”

Hatch explained how limiting the number of unnecessary days off from school is important.

“Prioritizing attendance and engagement when in school is important,” Hatch said. “Students should only be staying home when they are legitimately sick or when excused for things like educational trips and other approved activities. When a student does miss school, it is important that they communicate with their teachers on make-up work either by email or their Google Classroom. Students may even want to schedule time to see their teachers before or after school to get help on what they missed. The other important thing is for students to always bring an excuse for every absence. Absences cannot be excused without a valid parental or physician excuse.”

As a parent, Hatch understands the challenges students can produce by wanting to “take a personal day” or stay home from school without legitimate cause. 

“Parents need to incentivize school attendance by offering perfect attendance or improved attendance motivators at home,” Hatch said. “This could include privileges or even tangible rewards that students can work towards. Parents also need to be a partner in their child’s attendance by calling when their child is going to be off and providing a valid excuse for that absence.”

Junior Jacob Ceglar maintained his attendance for the school year. 

I have maintained it by not taking days off and scheduling trips and vacations to take place when school will not be missed,” Ceglar said. “I take a lot of AP classes so missing days is often not wise.

According to Ceglar, constantly missing school makes it harder to pass classes. 

One should not miss a whole lot of school,” Ceglar said. “When sickness or vacation keeps you absent, that is understandable; however, taking the expedient way of missing random days of school will only create make-up work and a poor attendance record that will look bad in the eyes of employers, teachers and colleges.

Freshman Briella Sipes maintained her attendance by making sure she kept a stable pace of everything during school.

“I maintained my attendance by making sure that I kept up on my work,” Sipes said. “So if I ever do end up missing school, then I have everything done that I need to get done.”

According to Sipes, students aren’t going to learn anything if they are not even present in school.

“My advice would be that if you are behind in school and have a not so good attendance score, then I say that you should turn yourself back around,” Sipes said. “Just make sure you’re doing your work in school and out of school.”