PMEA musicians hit all the right notes, advance to state-level competition

Sophomore+Seth+Goheen+plays+the+baritone+saxiphone+while+practicing+for+the+PMEA+regional+band+festival.+He+achieved+first+chair+for+States.+

Mykenzi Doran

Sophomore Seth Goheen plays the baritone saxiphone while practicing for the PMEA regional band festival. He achieved first chair for States.

For high school musicians, participation in the Pennsylvania Music Educators Association (PMEA) festivals is a way to show off their musical talent. These festivals allow young musicians to work with other musicians from around the state. The highest achievable level is the state festival.

“To get to the state level, you have to audition for the district level first,” junior Jaidyn Palladini said. “Then, you have to make it to regions, which is another audition, and finally to States.”

Palladini participated in the PMEA chorus festivals as a soprano two. This was her first year performing at the festivals. 

“It started when I auditioned for the musical in my sophomore year. Then, I auditioned for vocal ensemble, which got me more interested in music,” Palladini said. 

Palladini participated in last year’s production of Disney’s “Newsies,” alongside senior pit orchestra musician Jack Kuhns, who also advanced to the state level.

“I was in jazz band in junior high, and there was this song I didn’t know how to play. So, I decided to take lessons from Mr. Martin,” Kuhns said. 

Kent Martin is the former band director at the junior high school, and he continues to teach private piano lessons. These lessons helped Kuhns advance to the state level for the vocal jazz category, and he is the only student from AAHS to do so. 

“I practice more than other musicians which helps me stand out,” Kuhns said. “I play a lot.”

Kuhns is also a percussionist in the marching band and wind ensemble. His fellow percussionist sophomore Reece Myers also participated in PMEA festivals this year for band and orchestra. He advanced to states for the band category.

“Over the years I’ve gotten better in terms of technique and sound, and just playing in general,” Myers said. 

According to Myers, he decided to pursue music due to his friends, including sophomore baritone saxophonist Seth Goheen.

“I’ve been friends with Reece for six years. I loved hearing his name called for States, and it was great to go to the festival with him,” Goheen said.

Goheen and Myers attended the PMEA state festival together.

“If you’re motivated to work hard for States, go for it,” Myers said. “If you want it, go and get it.” 

Myers hopes to reach the state level again in his last two years of high school. Palladini’s musical goals reach further into her future.

“Long term, I want to keep going with what I’m doing and pursue it somehow,” Palladini said. “I’d like to continue singing for others for other events in the future.”