Sophomore Julian Hazelwood continues as starter

Haley Tanzi
Ready to go, Sophomore Julian Hazelwood is set in position on the field ready on defense against Central Dauphin on Sept. 22.

Julian Hazelwood (10) has been starting on the varsity football team since his freshman year.

“My family encouraged me to play, and my grandpa was in the NFL,” Hazelwood said. “He decided to push me to play football. His name is William Moore.” 

Hazelwood originally lived in Hollidaysburg until sixth grade. He started playing that season, and the rest was history. Hazelwood’s position on the team normally is wide receiver or cornerback, but he has also played safety, running back, quarterback, and more.

“I’d pick cornerback to be my favorite because that’s what I’m better at. I get more stuff done on the defensive side,” Hazelwood said.

Hazelwood was not originally a starter on the team, but his coaches quickly realized his potential. 

“It was a blessing to be a freshman playing varsity, now a sophomore,” Hazelwood said. “At first I didn’t start, but then one of my teammates got injured, and I started for the team ever since. It was the best opportunity I ever got. I proved that even though I might be undersized, I will still get my job done on the field. They kept playing me, and I had the technique. I have great footwork and understand my role on the team. My techniques and speed set me apart from my teammates.”

Hazelwood hopes to play in college.

“It doesn’t matter where, but I hope I get to go D1,” Hazelwood said. “I want to play in the NFL. It’s my biggest dream, but I have a lot of things to work on. Going to Districts has been my favorite moment. I was a freshman starting in a District game, and it felt like a team game where we all belonged together. It was the best moment I’ve had with my team.” 

“I’m blessed to be a starter and to be on a team like this,” Hazelwood said. 

Hazelwood has had a couple of injuries throughout his football career. He sustained a broken elbow and his hip popping out of place.

“I never let injuries stop me,” Hazelwood said. “No matter what happens, who brings you down, or what people tell you, as long as you are focused and put time into your sport you will get there. No matter what negatives or positives people give you at the end of the game, if you have one goal you will get to it. Since I’m undersized, a lot of people tell me that I’m not ready to play at my level, but my coaches and grandpa told me no matter what size I am, how much I weigh, as long as I get stuff done and have confidence I will succeed.” 

Hazelwood strives to be the best everyday putting in the effort for the outcome to show in his favor. 

“Football has shaped me a lot,” Hazelwood said. “It’s what I think about everyday. It’s who I am. It’s what made me. My team is what makes me keep returning to football year after year. I love the players; they’re like brothers to me. My coaches and my teammates might have their bad days, but I love them and the sport to death.”