• April 26Lunch for 04/26/24 - Cheesy Breadsticks with Sauce
  • April 26Breakfast for 04/29/24 - Waffles
  • April 26Announcements for 04/26/2024
  • April 25Announcements for 04/25/2024
  • April 25Breakfast for 04/26/24 - Biscuit with Sausage Gravy
  • April 25Lunch for 04/25/24 - Chicken over Biscuit
  • April 24Lunch for 04/24/24 - Chimichurri Pork Tacos

Gaining an edge

En+garde.+Greatsword+fencing+is+one+of+the+only+disciplines+that+requires+a+two-handed+grip.+The+most+common+armor+is+a+tunic+and+face+guard.+
Warren Leberfinger
En garde. Greatsword fencing is one of the only disciplines that requires a two-handed grip. The most common armor is a tunic and face guard.

Fencing, in different variations, is one of four competitions to appear in every single modern Olympic Games. Despite its long history, it remains a niche community in American sports. USA Fencing, the governing body of the sport in America, only recorded approximately 40,000 registered members as of February last year. 

However, within this niche sport, there is an even smaller community that instead of focusing on hyper-competitive aspects of the sport, shines a light on medieval European swordsmanship.

Senior Warren Leberfinger has been fencing for eight years. He has performed at Renaissance fairs, went to Districts and competed in national competitions. He placed second in States last year.

“It started with a personal interest in knives. My dad made knives. I started making them, and then I started fencing,” Leberfinger said. 

Fencing competitions operate in a round-based system, with points earned depending on where the blade strikes the opponent. The more fatal a hit would be, realistically, the more points the competitor earns.

Leberfinger competes using a greatsword, an underutilized blade in the fencing community. With a weapon so old and celebrated throughout history, he still finds unique ways to gain an edge over his opponents. 

“My skill set is kind of unique,” Leberfinger said. “I do stuff that might be risky or that others might not usually do. I take a unique approach to the competition.”

There is a lack of attention on the fencing community. He plans on taking this passion into college but does not see himself competing very far into adulthood. 

“There should be more of a spotlight on fencing because it takes a lot of skill,” Leberfinger said. “I mean, for some, it can be boring to watch, it’s not easy to track. But, it takes a lot of skill— it’s hard.”

View Comments (1)