• May 10Announcements for 05/10/24
  • May 10Lunch for 05/10/24 - Hot Ham & Cheese on Pretzel Bun
  • May 10Breakfast for 05/13/24 - Waffles
  • May 9Announcements for 05/09/24
  • May 9Breakfast for 05/10/24 - Biscuit with Sausage Gravy
  • May 9Lunch for 05/09/24 - Turkey Stack, Mashed Potatoes
  • May 8Lunch for 05/08/24 - Chimichurri Pork Tacos, Refried Beans

Avarie Shawley draws into the future

TJ Dunkle

Sophomore Avarie Shawley has been taking part in the artistic side of journalism ever since she was three years old.

“I don’t know how many novels I’ve read. Just like drawing, it’s something I’ve always done. I’ve been reading full books ever since I was about seven or eight. I only own two novels though, as I mostly get books from my friends or the library. I have a lot of manga that I own. Mostly things like Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, and things of that sort. I’m pretty sure I’ve read more books than I could count, though,” Shawley said

Shawley loves drawing, and it started with her family.

“I’m not 100% sure exactly what got me to start drawing. I never really had to be taught to draw. I feel like I always just did. My oldest memories have me drawing in them because it’s just a part of me. I know when I was young, I would just find things that looked cool, and I would draw them just by looking at them,” Shawley said

Shawley draws a lot in a day even creating her own characters. 

“I can’t be sure how many drawings I’ve worked on in my life, but I’d have to guess somewhere around 1000. I know that sounds like a lot,” Shawley said.

According to Shawley, she has created one full original piece but does not have a full drawing.

“I’ve drawn fully inked and colored characters. It would have to be somewhere around 50 to 100. And if you’re wondering how many original characters that I’ve that I’ve done full pieces on, it would actually be zero. All of my full drawings are popular TV show characters and things of that sort,” Shawley said. 

Shawley plans on becoming a voice actor or even an editor for a newspaper after graduation.

“I can voice basically anything I can. I have a really good range. I can do really high pitched voices and keep them stable too. So I think it could be a good career for me,” Shawley said.