Anyone but You is a must watch for everyone

Since+Anyone+but+You+came+out+on+December+22%2C+2023%2C+it+became+the+best+rom-com+since+1999.+
Megan Shultz
Since “Anyone but You” came out on December 22, 2023, it became the best rom-com since 1999.

Since 1999, “10 Things I Hate About You” has set the bar high for all rom-coms to follow. This movie has always held the number one place in my heart, up until the very end of 2023, when “Anyone but You” was released. While every rom-com is beautiful in their own way, “Anyone but You” is an absolute must-watch. 

First and foremost, the chemistry shared between Ben and Bea was perfect. Some movies are hard to watch because the actors just don’t seem into each other. Throughout the whole movie, even when their love is meant to be “forced”, it feels like they have something going on between them. 

Not only did the love feel real, but the opening scene automatically had everyone in the theater feeling like a total mess. From the drink-buying in the coffee shop to the instant apartment heartbreak, I just had to sit there and question why. The on-and-off sense of the relationship 

One thing about “Anyone but You” that made it better than all of the other rom-coms I’ve seen is the level of comedy and the amount of it. Although most of the jokes were mature, that made it even funnier. All of the comedy was in all of the right places, so it didn’t stay serious or sappy for long periods of time. Sometimes a good laugh is all we need to give us a little reset. This movie did just that. 

Despite their lack of using the other characters to enhance the storyline, I still found every actor played an important role in getting Ben and Bea to fall in love. Whether it was the parents who disagreed with their relationship, the sister and best friend who tried to set them up or the past relationships that arose, everyone in the movie served the same purpose; getting them together. 

Last, the repetition of Ben’s “serenity song” all of the way to the reception scene was so well put together. The way that the song played during some of the most important moments in the movie was one detail that stood out to me tremendously. 

“Anyone but You” is my new all-time favorite rom-com that has been added to the film industry. From the real chemistry of the actors, the heart-wrenching scenes and the beautiful ending, it is a must-watch for anyone who is a hopeless romantic in need of a good laugh or cry. Despite its lack of the character’s deserved screen time, the movie is very entertaining and should be added to anyone’s to be watched list. As of now, the movie is only available to watch in theaters.