• May 3005/30/24 - Last Day!
  • May 29Lunch for 05/29/24 - Cook's Choice!
  • May 29Breakfast for 05/30/24 - Cook's Choice!
  • May 28Breakfast for 05/29/24 - Cook's Choice!
  • May 28Lunch for 05/28/24 - Cook's Choice!
  • May 27Breakfast for 05/28/24 - Cook's Choice!
  • May 27May 27 - Memorial Day, No School

The underrated brilliance of tennis

Get+ready.+Juniors+Courtney+Irwin+and+Isabella+Graham+prepare+for+a+tennis+match+to+start.+
Olivia McMinn
Get ready. Juniors Courtney Irwin and Isabella Graham prepare for a tennis match to start.

When thinking of a popular sport, the majority of people think of football, basketball, volleyball, and track. Does tennis come to one’s mind first when thinking of any sport? Tennis is underrated. With both opponents at the end of each side of the court, they have a strong determination to win. Two rackets and two people are all it takes to play a good game. 

Tennis doesn’t get noticed if it requires a lot of skills such as speed and flexibility. In tennis, speed is required when running for a groundstroke. It is an independent sport where someone doesn’t focus on passing to their teammate like they would in any other sport. Tennis may seem like just serving and hitting the ball, but there is a lot more to it. This sport is time-consuming because it requires more than some realize. 

A lot mentally goes into this sport. Mental strength goes into one’s focus, challenging your mind, observing the opponent. Physically, someone can train for tennis, but if the mind isn’t trained with it that’s inadequate.

Furthermore, tennis is a valuable way to build social status with others. Being around others with similar interests as you is beneficial. As much as we sometimes don’t like to learn from people, I think there are a lot of inspiring tennis players. People can help build each other up.  

I have to agree tennis doesn’t catch the attention of people, like football or basketball. I would prefer to watch either of the two before tennis. But when you’re on the court, and the ball is going just in between the opponent. It can get more competitive than what meets the eye. People like to watch things a lot. This is why it’s important to build skills where you can give them a good game to watch.

Tennis has unique things to it just like any sport. One is it only takes another person to play. What I think is neat about the sport is that a player can win without getting close to the opponent. You don’t have to attach them to the ground or anything. It challenges your mind and gets you thinking about what your opponent is doing next.

Although tennis is a sport played by millions of peopleit’s not recognized as much as other sports. That doesn’t mean that it’s not well-liked or played a lot. 

As I browsed for other people’s quotes, I found one by Billy Jean, a former player, “Champions keep playing until they get it right.” I think that quote applies a lot when playing tennis. Another great tennis player was Arthur Ashe, and his statement was, “Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome.”

We see how a sport can be underrated but still played by millions of people. A lot goes into playing tennis mentally and physically.