Announcements 2/1/2024

ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 2024

Attention Baseball players not currently playing a winter sport: There will be open gyms for any 9th through 12th grader who is interested in trying out for high school baseball this year. The first two open gyms will be held on Monday,
February 5th and Wednesday, February 7th. The open gyms will be held from
3:15 PM – 5:15 PM for grades 11 and 12. The workout for grades 9 and 10 will be held from 5:15 PM – 7:00 PM. These workouts will take place at the Washington & Jefferson Elementary Building. Players are asked to use the 4th Street lower entrance only. Please bring a glove and a bat if possible. A coach will be there to let you in.

Attention Seniors: A reminder that all transcripts are now being sent through Parchment. All seniors should make an account at Parchment.com if they have not done so already, so they will have access to their transcript. Final transcripts at the end of the year will also be available on Parchment. Students attending college or the military will need to submit their final transcript to their military branch or college. Remember to let your counselor know of your future plans. Seniors, see your counselor if you have any questions.

Seniors: Please help raise money to pay for your AfterGlo by participating in the final round of Gardners’ Candies Sale. Stop by Mrs. Irwin’s classroom (room A334) to sign out a box of Peanut Butter Meltaways. Once again, if you sell $250 worth of fundraisers this year, you will receive one free ticket to AfterGlo. If you sell $400 worth of fundraisers, then you will receive two free tickets to the AfterGlo.

Attention Male Seniors: Have you participated in Cross Country and/or Track and Field for 2 consecutive years and are looking for Scholarship opportunities? If so, you will want to stop by the Guidance office to pick up an application for the Angelo Gioiosia Memorial Scholarship. Fully completed applications need to be returned by March 18th to either Mr. D’Angelo, Mrs. Quinn, or the Guidance Office.

Attention Seniors: The Class of 1971 Scholarship is now available. To be eligible for this award, the applicant should be a direct descendant (child, grandchild or great- grandchild) of a 1971 graduate of Altoona and complete a short essay. Stop by the literature rack outside of the guidance office to pick up an application. Deadline is March 15th.

Attention Seniors: If you are a student athlete and are involved in your community in some way through volunteering, then you will want to stop by the literature rack outside of the Guidance Office and pick up a copy of the Dick Logan ’66 Scholarship Application. The deadline is March 8th at 3 pm. No late applications will be accepted.

Attention Seniors looking for scholarships: The Richard McEldowney Academic Scholarship has been added to the literature rack. To apply, you must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and have completed 25 hours of documented community service. Deadline is March 18th at 3 pm, no late applications accepted.

Scholarship seekers: The Courage for Kiera Foundation Scholarship has just arrived. If you have been a part of the AAHS Music Department for at least 2 years and are planning to further your education, please stop by and pick up an application. Deadline is Friday, March 15th.

Attention Seniors searching for Scholarships: New to the literature rack outside of the Guidance Office is the Big A Booster Scholarship. To be considered for this Scholarship, applicants must be a member of a varsity sport and a parent must be a current member of the Big A Booster Club. Deadline is March 15th at 3:00 PM.