Super Bowl LVIII 49ers vs Chiefs

Brandon Auker
The 49ers and Chiefs meet again. This time in Super Bowl LVIII

The 2024 Super Bowl comes down to a rematch of Super Bowl LIV with the Kansas City Chiefs vs the San Francisco 49ers.

Both of these teams have excelled during the 2023-2024 season, the Chiefs finishing at the top of their division at 11-6 and the 49ers also finishing in the top of their division at 12-5. Both of these teams have fought their way to the Super Bowl, barely getting past the divisional and conference rounds beating their opponents by at most 7 points (Ravens vs Chiefs, AFC Championship) Although this isn’t everyone’s favorite outcome for the playoffs this year, it will still prove to be a great game. But who will win? 

Both teams were led by their MVP (Most Valuable Player) candidate QBs (quarterbacks) Brock Purdy and Patrick Mahomes. Both of these QBs broke 4,000 passing yards this season and threw for 25+ touchdowns each. However, each team’s respective defenses have proven their worth as well.

The Chiefs defense excelled with their passing defense on average only allowing 176.5 and 19 passing touchdowns. While the Chiefs excelled in passing defense, the 49ers’ run defense is arguably the best in the league only allowing an average of 89.7 rushing yards and 10 touchdowns all season.

These numbers give a rough idea of how this Super Bowl matchup may go. With the 49ers incredible defensive line, the question of will Patrick Mahomes be able to create the big plays he always has arised.

Patrick Mahomes will not be able to withstand the 49ers pass rush. The 49ers pass rush and run defense will put Mahomes under immense pressure causing him to make poor mistakes that the defense can capitalize on.

As for the 49ers offense, they will also be able to run through the Chiefs defense. McCaffrey had his best season yet with 1,459 rushing yards and 14 rushing touchdowns and has been a stud when it comes to physicality. The Chiefs defense allowed an average of 113.2 rushing yards and allowed a total of 10 rushing touchdowns all season.

The only reason why the 49ers may not win would come down to experience. The Chiefs have made the Super Bowl four out of the past five years, while the 49ers have not had a Super Bowl appearance since their first matchup against the Chiefs in 2020.