Announcements for 2/6/2024

ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 2024

Two BIG basketball games this week!
Tuesday our girls team takes on Hollidaysburg at home for the Shoot for a Cure game. The theme is SUPERHERO. Wednesday our boys take on Hollidaysburg at home. The theme is CONSTRUCTION. There is also a home swim meet that night and the final home bocce match on Thursday at 4:00. See you in the Field house!

Attention Students: A representative from South Hills will be here in the cafeteria during lunches next Wednesday, February 14th. Stop by to wish her a happy Valentine’s Day and check out what South Hills has to offer!

Seniors: Please check the literature rack for yet another Scholarship opportunity. In honor of AAHS’s former Guidance Secretary, we are announcing the Linda McGinnis Memorial Scholarship. There are no restrictions to apply, just be a graduating senior entering college in the fall. Deadline is Friday, March 15th at 3 PM. No late applications will be accepted.

Attention Seniors: Announcing the Brighter Future Scholarship Program from Rural Valley Electric. In order to apply for this Scholarship, you or your guardian must be a customer of Valley Rural Electric Cooperative. Applications can be found in the literature rack outside the guidance office. Completed applications must be mailed and must be received by March 31st.

Attention Seniors: A reminder for students applying for the Altoona Area High School Alumni Association Scholarship – the February 19th deadline is fast approaching so be sure to complete the application and get it turned in to the Guidance Office no later than 3pm on Thursday, February 15th.

Attention Seniors: Mrs. Yahner and Mrs. Anderson will be organizing two upcoming field trips at the end of March. We will be touring the Adult Education Programs at the Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center on Tuesday, March 26 from 9:00 to 12:30. Most of the adult programs are 9 months in duration. The second field trip will be a day-long trip to Penn Highlands Community College in the morning and then South Hills Business School in the afternoon on Thursday, March 28. This is a great opportunity for students wanting to see the schools, and also for students not certain about their future plans after graduation. Interested seniors can pick up and return permission slips in the Counseling Office at the high school. All forms are due by March 2. If not all of the seats are filled with seniors, juniors will be invited.
See your counselor with any questions.

Attention Juniors and Seniors: If you have ever given any thought to a high paying career in the field of mining, then listen up because this announcement is for you. AMF Mine Safety LLC is offering training programs in underground new miner training as well as surface new miner training. If this is something that is interesting to you, please stop by the literature rack outside of the guidance office to pick up a flyer with more information.