Altoona pins cross-town rival

Jaidyn Palladini
Lowering the stakes. freshman Gavin Ciampoli lowers his level to get a takedown on his opponent om Jan. 31. Gavin won this match and improved his record to 17-6.

On Jan. 31, the wrestling team took on crosstown rival Hollidaysburg. With the team debuting their new singlets, the final score was 44-21 with Altoona getting the win. 

The match started with senior Evan Boose taking on Caden Frye from Hollidaysburg at the 215 lbs category. The match ended with Boose pinning Frye. Then, senior Hayden Speece pinned his opponent in 49 seconds. 

“I feel like I can improve by just getting pins, and there’s no reason that match should have gone into the second period. I should have pinned him in the first cradle but he got out.  I  improved by getting pins. As a team we just need to practice better in the weight and wrestling room. We  were on autopilot and we were just going with the flow. We have to pick up our pace and work harder at practice,” Boose said.

Boose believes there is a lot more on the line at Districts than any other tournament.

“I felt like Districts will be different because it means more. If you lose there you’re done, your season’s over. At a tournament, you still have the next one. At Districts, you’re finished if you don’t move on,” Boose said.

Freshman Dom Nardoza took on Brayden Sidney at the 107 lbs category. The match ended with Sidney slipping through Nardoza’s fingers by a 4-0 decision. Then sophomore Taber Baker won by forfeit at the 114 lbs category.

The match continued with sophomore Braiden Weaver winning by a pin in the second period. Then freshman Gavin Ciampoli took on Carson Krupta at the 127 lbs category. The match ended with Ciampoli beating Krupta by a Tech Fall in the third period. 

“The support from the team helps me strive to do my best, for myself and for the team,” Ciampoli said. “I need to wrestle smarter and harder if I want to do well at Districts.”

Sophomore Aiden Fox took on Jacob Brua at the 133 lbs category. The match ended with Brua pinning Fox. Then freshman Luke Geishauser took on Mason Schenk at the 139 lbs category. The match ended with Schenk pinned Geishauser.

Senior Wyatt Young took on James Bialo at the 145 lbs category. The match ended with Young beating Bialo by a 15-0 Tech Fall. Then sophomore Damien Mellott won by forfeit at the 152 lbs category. 

The team has provided me with support and confidence as we build off of each other’s motivation and goals. This has allowed me to work harder during practice and perform better in matches,” Young said. “I am hoping to improve my pace leading up to districts and be comfortable with all of my best stuff.”

Junior Luke Sipes went up against Aiden Schenk at the 160 lbs category. The match ended with Sipes beating Schenk by a 22-7 Tech Fall. Then sophomore Ty’Kear Davis took on Mitchell Baronner at the 172 lbs category. The match ended with Baronner beating Davis by a 1-0 decision. The final match of the night was Julian Pringle versus Tyson Bridenbaugh at the 189 lbs category. The match ended with Bridenbaugh beating Pringle by a 3-2 decision. Making the final score 44-21.

With the three pins, three tech falls and two forfeits, Altoona got the win over cross-town rival Hollidaysburg.