• May 10Announcements for 05/10/24
  • May 10Lunch for 05/10/24 - Hot Ham & Cheese on Pretzel Bun
  • May 10Breakfast for 05/13/24 - Waffles
  • May 9Announcements for 05/09/24
  • May 9Breakfast for 05/10/24 - Biscuit with Sausage Gravy
  • May 9Lunch for 05/09/24 - Turkey Stack, Mashed Potatoes
  • May 8Lunch for 05/08/24 - Chimichurri Pork Tacos, Refried Beans

Astronomy, FLC visit architectural sites

Lincoln Frank
Enraptured. Juniors Nolan Brennan and Braydon Hetrick observe the unique architectural design employed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Fallingwater is just one of Wright’s many architectural feats.

On April 22, the astronomy and foreign language clubs enjoyed an educational field trip that offered students the opportunity to explore the worlds of architecture and nature. The excursion included visits to architect Frank Lloyd Wright’s most famous works such as Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob, as well as the natural beauty of Ohiopyle State Park.

The trip mainly consisted of guided tours of Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob, with free time at Ohiopyle. Students appreciated the opportunity to admire the landscapes of their state, especially on Earth Day.

“For the most part the trip was made up of guided tours of Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob, and then we got some free time to explore in Ohiopyle,” senior Connor Matosziuk said.

The designs at the sites were not to everyone’s taste, but the natural surroundings and sights were intriguing. Some students appreciated the blend of architecture with the environment, while the visit to Kentuck Knob was a new experience for others.

“I think for some students the architecture was really interesting. Although for me, the designs weren’t really my taste,” senior Camryn MacAlarney said.

For some, the trip sparked an interest in architecture, showing just how inspirational such works of humanity can be.

“I really enjoyed many of the sights present on this trip, they even made me consider architectural design and engineering as one of my career paths,” junior Nolan Brennan said.

Students found the trip quite enjoyable, with guided tours adding structure to the day. It was seen as a major end-of-year trip, similar to previous outings to places like the Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh.

“The trip was set to be an end-of-year field trip, which is usually the biggest and most interesting one,” Brennan said.

Different aspects of the trip stood out to the students as their favorite parts. Some enjoyed the natural beauty of Cucumber falls in Ohiopyle State Park.

“My favorite part of the trip was visiting Cucumber Falls and Ohiopyle,” MacAlarney said. “The waterfall was really pretty, and my group stopped at a small coffee shop that was really good.”

Other students chose to take advantage of the learning opportunities presented at these architectural sites, being educated by the tour guides.

“I really enjoyed getting to talk to our tour guide at Fallingwater because he seemed very willing to engage me and answer all my questions,” Matosziuk said. “He was very focused on our group and did a great job educating me on the history of the sites, I really learned a lot on this trip. ”