Strobel emphasizes communication in volleyball

Peyton Daniel, Guest Writer

There are many important roles in volleyball that make up the teams. Most people assume this sport just concludes by hitting a ball and not letting it touch the ground. There is much more involved that makes up this competitive sport. 

To begin, teamwork plays an important part of the game. Not only do players have to know each other’s positions, but communication changes the game in general. 

“Many people aren’t aware of the fact that you have to know every player’s next move. Once the passer has their eyes on the ball, then the setter has to get their head in the game as to where they wanna set, then the hitter takes control,” sophomore Nyelah Strobel said.

Meanwhile, this fast- paced sport also requires full attention at all times. There is never a moment not only during any game, but also practice where players can lose focus on the ball. Concentration plays another key role in this sport. 

“If you even take your eyes off the ball for one second, you’re risking a point for your team. So many things can happen in that second, and you not paying attention could cost it for your team,” Strobel said. 

Communication is the biggest challenge in the game. Without it, players have no idea whose job it is to take control of the ball.

“I’d say communication overall is important obviously, but it is especially important with the setter. If the setter doesn’t yell who they are setting to, there’s a chance the hitter won’t be prepared.” Strobel said. 

In volleyball, the passer in the back row is the first to start the play off. If they don’t call for it, the ball could fall in between two players and could lose a point for the team. If the setter doesn’t talk, then the hitter will not be prepared and won’t have enough time to transition. 

There are many key roles in this sport that people are unaware of. It is often thought of as one of the easiest sports, but has many steps involved to making the game perfect. Although this sport may seem easy sometimes, competitiveness can definitely shine through at moments and focus has to be maintained.