Boys’ volleyball team ends season

Jaidyn Palladini, Guest Writer

On May 6, the boys’ volleyball team wrapped up their season with a home game against Chambersburg. 

Players were forced to postpone and even cancel a few games during the season with limited spectators. Most say they were glad to see somewhat of a crowd.

“It was different having a limited number of spectators but I was glad to play,” senior Jamen McCabe said. 

Due to Covid-19 regulations, players wore masks and were socially distanced as much as possible.

“The masks made it harder to breathe and communicate on the floor, but we tried our best to get through it,” freshman Noah Fries said. 

Amid the pandemic, players continued to work hard even though there were many downfalls during the season. 

“The downfall of our team unfortunately is our youth and experience. With Covid-19 eliminating sports last year, our upperclassmen were robbed of valuable playing time and experience. At times on the court, there are 4-5 freshmen going against players who have been playing for club teams and working during quarantine. We are taking strides everyday to overcome our inexperience and lead ourselves to a District 6 championship,” freshman Caleb Fries said. 

There are many seniors on the team who have had a difficult time with it being their final year playing for the school. They will be missed by fellow team members and coaches. 

“I will miss all of the seniors that are leaving, all the practices and especially waiting over a year to play. It was a great experience,” N. Fries said. 

The seniors have been looked up to the most by the underclassmen. They have been a big inspiration to them.

“On the court, I look up to Garret Baumgartner, our outside hitter, the most. He is the person on our team that we can always lean on and rely on getting a kill or a nice dig. I aspire to be like Garret, and I try to emulate what he does on the court. I am trying to soak up everything that I can, and emulating Garret’s style of being aggressive toward every ball has helped me tremendously throughout my progression as a volleyball player,” C. Fries said. 

The team had many highlights but the best one was against cross-town rival BG.

“Beating BG felt really good and it made us work harder and better as a team. I think it also made our confidence boost as well,” McCabe said. 

Although the team had a shorter and difficult season, they knew they could’ve worked better. 

“I think we could’ve played better as a whole team and had more communication,” McCabe said.  

The team ended the season with a record of 1-9.