Students express feelings on dress code

Exercising+the+First+Amendment+%0ASenior+Kaydee+Dambeck+shares+her+opinion+on+the+school+dress+code+through+a+poster.+She+made+the+poster+for+a+class+project+in+her+Teen+%26+Law+class.+

Trey Boore

Exercising the First Amendment Senior Kaydee Dambeck shares her opinion on the school dress code through a poster. She made the poster for a class project in her Teen & Law class.

Trey Boore, Reporter

Since the start of the school year, dress code has been one of the most talked about topics among students. Now a month into school, the enforcement of the Code of Conduct continues to cause an uproar between students. 

Most male students do not have an issue with the dress code and feel that it does not apply to them as much. On the other hand, female students feel that the dress code primarily targets them. Whether it is rips in jeans above the knee or shoulders showing, many have mixed emotions about this ongoing issue. 

“I think it’s dumb because the teachers and staff always want us to express ourselves and be open but how are we supposed to do that if we can’t even show it. For me it hasn’t really affected me as much because I choose to wear what I wear, and it doesn’t go against the dress code,” senior Zach McCall said. 

On page 10 the Student Code of Conduct states that the Altoona Area School Board District of Directors believes that daily attendance is an integral part of an effective educational environment. Since learning occurs in a sequential order, regular attendance is necessary for students to build upon previous information. Junior Julia McCaulley attended a school board meeting after being dress coded for wearing a skirt not much higher than her knee area. She spoke her thoughts towards the controversy. 

“What I wear to school must be more important than the education I’m getting,” McCaulley said.

Even those who follow the dress code roles tend to disagree with this year’s enforcement of it. 

“I think it’s more harmful than helpful. In my eyes, the school is using an outdated system to enforce the rules mainly on our more feminine presenting students. I see it as the school caring more about taking my peers out of class for clothing that they feel comfortable enough to learn in rather than make sure we are in the classroom receiving our education,” senior Kaydee Dambeck said.