Student council sells breast cancer awareness pins

Student+council+members+help+raise+awareness+throughout+the+school.+They+sold+many+pins+and+helped+recognize+this+cause.+

Peyton Daniel

Student council members help raise awareness throughout the school. They sold many pins and helped recognize this cause.

Peyton Daniel, Reporter

Throughout October, student council members came together to sell breast cancer awareness pins in honor of national Breast Cancer Awareness month. Their objective was to make a difference within the school by raising awareness to this cause. 

Students reached out to foundations and gave ideas for how the school could help those in need.

“My nana was diagnosed with breast cancer about seven to eight years ago,” junior Gracie Wilt said. “Throughout her whole battle, the UPMC Foundation for Life organization really helped her. She won her battle with cancer and has been cancer free since. Whenever I heard that the student council was looking for a local organization to donate to, I knew I had to suggest Foundation for Life, just because of how much they were there for my nana during her battle.”

Not only are students seeing the impact the pins are creating around the school, teachers are as well. 

“Our student leaders stepped up well to make this effort happen,” student council adviser Jessica Hogan said. “The results aren’t in yet, but most of the pins are gone, so we think we were very successful.”

Student council members are seeing results everyday with this project and have taken the time to put in their input.

“In my opinion, selling pins for breast cancer awareness is a great way to bring awareness to the disease,” junior Delainey Wisor said. “It allows people to feel connected to the cause by being able to donate.”

Pins are still available in room B318 or in the Student Council store for $1.