Teachers should not force students to talk in class

Searching+for+answers+Gianna+Stillman+raises+her+hand+in+French+class.+Some+teachers+require+participation+while+others+have+a+more+flexible+approach.+

Bryana Ayala

Searching for answers Gianna Stillman raises her hand in French class. Some teachers require participation while others have a more flexible approach.

Bryana Ayala, Reporter

Some current day teachers have expectations for students to verbally interact with the class. Some teachers are more lenient on other options, but many are much more strict about assignments. This in many ways can be troublesome for some students. 

As someone who has struggled with public speaking for years, talking in class is something that I try to avoid at all costs. I’ve had a speech impediment since I was a child. Because of this, I avoid talking. I have learned to avoid certain words, but when it comes to talking in class, it’s almost impossible to avoid those words. It has caused a lot of anxiety in general, but it only worsens once it’s obvious that others can’t understand me. 

Along with a speech impediment, I’ve also struggled with social anxiety for years. I have a good enough understanding of myself and my mental health to know when things will cause me great panic. Presentations and speaking when I’m not ready are both some of the biggest issues for me. Anytime I hear one of my teachers mention the word presentation, I internally begin freaking out. Usually, I’m able to let my teachers know ahead of time, and we come to an arrangement, but there have been a few instances where they don’t budge. This in itself can be an issue if teachers aren’t taking their own students’ feelings and mental health into consideration. 

There’s also instances of when public speaking is graded. I have had presentations where the grading rubric included how good someone’s ability to present was; including how they spoke. When people are anxious (as many are during presentations), they tend to not have control of how they’re talking, whether it be mumbling, rushing or stuttering. It’s unfair to grade someone based on their verbal abilities when they are obviously having a tough time with presentations. 

There are also teachers who grade on verbal participation. Grading students based on how many times they’ve talked in a certain time frame creates ongoing stress. 

“It makes me stressed out because I’ve always struggled with talking in front of a group. I don’t think kids should be forced to talk in front of the whole class…It frustrates me a lot especially when I’m having bad days, and I don’t feel like talking to anyone,” freshman Gianna Stillman said.

Teachers can claim they are helping students’ social skills by doing this, but it has only made me resent presentations more. If teachers want to help their students, they should talk to them about how they can get them out of their comfort zone in a way that won’t stress the students out. Personally, I’ve done one-on-one presentations and many more alternatives instead of presenting in front of a class. 

The expectations for verbal participation in classes is undoubtedly unfair. Teachers should not be allowed to make students feel uncomfortable in the classroom whether it is intentional or not. They should be helping students by getting their input, so they can compromise on a decision that will not only be a sufficient grade, but also make their students feel safe at school.