Swim team powers through season

Winners.+The+scoreboard+from+the+meet+on+Jan.+3%2C+2022+at+Tyrone.+Girls+and+boys+teams+both+took+home+the+win+that+night.+

Charlie Kephart

Winners. The scoreboard from the meet on Jan. 3, 2022 at Tyrone. Girls and boys teams both took home the win that night.

Charlie Kephart, Guest Reporter

As January starts, winter sports are in full peak, including swimming. Swimming has been going on since the beginning of December and will last until February. The team still has six regular meets remaining, two invitationals, and PIAA Districts for those who make it. 

The girls’ and boys’ teams took home wins at Tyrone on Jan. 3, 2022 and at Northern Cambria on Jan. 5, 2022. Even with a rougher start to the season for girls, 2-4-1, Alexis Fraundorfer, sophomore, is very excited about the progress so far.

“I’m very proud of the girls. Honestly, for the amount of girls we have, we have very good quality,” Fraundorfer said. 

Fraundorfer believes the quality is paying off. Fraundorfer has been taking a lot of double wins lately, including the 100 butterfly and 200 I.M. 

The boys’ team has had better luck so far this season with their record being 4-3. Coaches are very proud of their team so far this season. 

The swim team has had multiple swimmers qualify for PIAA Districts in State College. These include freshman Charlie Kephart and Trevor Wilson, sophomore Alexis Fraundorfer, and juniors Emma Fraundorfer, Gwyn Fox, Kaylynn Manley, Austin Parker, JJ Steinbugl, and Patryck Webster. Wilson is very excited that he qualified for Districts in the 200 IM, 100 Breaststroke and the 200 freestyle. 

“I feel great to qualify for Districts. I am only a freshman and to qualify in my first year of Altoona swimming is amazing. I’m really proud of myself,” Wilson said.

The team is ready to see what the rest of the season holds for them.